Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham offers admission to all its 195+ undergraduate and post graduate programs in Engineering, Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmacy, Ayurveda, Bio-technology, Nanotechnology, Management, Arts and Sciences, Communication, Social Work, Philosophy & Applied Psychology and Teachers Education to international students.
Foreign nationals, PIO card holders, OCI, NRI students and NRI-sponsored students under the International/NRI/NRI-S categories are eligible to apply. Admissions are based on merit and marks / grades obtained in the qualifying examination/ entrance examination.
For certain programs including Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing and Ayurveda, international students also have to write the entrance exam. For more details, please see the respective links on the right.
Whom to Contact
The Directorate of Corporate and Industry Relations at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (University), Coimbatore campus is the nodal point for international students seeking admission to any of the programs offered at Amrita. Please contact us at the address listed below.
Corporate and Industry Relations
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (University)
Amritanagar Post, Ettimadai
Coimbatore - 641 112
Tamil Nadu, India
Phone: +91 422 2685 005, +91 422 2685 004
Fax: +91 422 2652 125
Are You an International Student?
International students include the following categories:
Foreign Students: Students holding passports issued by foreign countries including people of Indian origin who have acquired the nationality of foreign countries.
Non Resident Indians (NRI): Student with NRI status; students who are Indian citizens but have written their qualifying examination (equivalent to the 10+2) from a school or college abroad.
NRI Sponsored Students: : Students are Indian citizens, whose father/mother is an NRI.
Documents Required for Admission
All the international students will require a student visa endorsed to this Institution for joining full time courses. No other endorsement is acceptable. Students wishing to join a research programme will require a research visa endorsed to this Institution. The visa should be valid for the prescribed duration of the course.A visa is not required for NRI students. Students who are doing full time courses, in some other institutions, do not require a separate visa for joining part time courses provided that their current visa is valid for the entire duration of the course.
Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) who possess either OCI (Overseas Indian Citizenship) or PIO card do not require Indian Visa. OCI and PIO card gives them freedom to visit India without visa. OCI and PIO cards are multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India. However, those PIOs who do not have PIO or OCI card have to apply for the student visa.
- NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE
International Students no longer require a No Objection Certificate, for joining professional courses. All international students wishing to undertake any research work or join Ph.D or M. Phil. programmes will have to obtain prior security clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs and the approval of Department of Secondary & Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development Government of India and this must be on the research visa endorsed to this Institution.
- APPLICATION FORM WITH ALL DETAILS FURNISHED
- PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FOLLOWING
- NRI bank account pass book (front page photo copy)
- Passport copy of the parent having NRI status.
- Passport copy of student (except for NRI-S candidates)
- EQUIVALENCE CERTIFICATE issued by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) for students who are pursuing a course not covered by CBSE/State Board etc.
The following foreign examinations have been recognized by AIU as equivalent to the +2-stage qualification of an Indian Board. Students who have cleared any of these examinations successfully may apply for admission to any of the bachelors programs at Amrita.
- 12 years Baccalaureate Certificate of Afghanistan, France, Iraq and Tunisia.
- 12 years General Secondary Education Certificate of the Ministry of Education – Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and other Gulf countries.
- GCE/IGCSE/GCSE examinations of the approved British Examining Bodies in UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Mauritius with passes in 5 subjects at Ordinary Level and 2 subjects at Advanced Level. For admission to professional courses (medical/engineering) Advanced Level passes in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Mathematics and English are required besides 5 passes in GCE Ordinary Level.
- High School Diploma from an accredited school in USA.
- Intermediate/Senior Secondary/Higher Secondary of the approved Boards in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- 12 years secondary stage qualification of National Examination Board/Council of the Ministry of Education – Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania.
- 12-years Secondary Stage Examination conducted by various Provinces in Australia and Canada.
- GCE Ordinary and Advanced Level examination of the Department of Examination, Government of Sri Lanka.
- 12-years STPM examination of Malaysia.
- 12-years Secondary Stage qualification of Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Socialist Republic of Vietnam and Yemen Arab Republic.
- Abitur of Germany.
- 12-year High School Diploma awarded by the accredited American School/International Schools in other countries following American pattern of education.
In order to avoid any difficulties at a later stage, every student who has studied in a system other than CBSE / ICSE or any State Board in India is advised to obtain an Equivalence Certificate from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi. This is to be produced at the time of admission. Visit their website for more details.
- NRI STATUS CERTIFICATE in respect of father/mother
- EMPLOYERS CERTIFICATE of parent sponsoring the student
- CERTIFICATES OF EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS 10thStd/12thStd/Degree/Transfer Certificate/Migration Certificate (as applicable to specific courses)
- MEDICAL FITNESS CERTIFICATE
- UNDERTAKING duly countersigned by Parent/Guardian
- AMRITA ENTRANCE EXAMINATION HALL TICKET (where applicable)
- DEMAND DRAFTS as applicable
Rules and Regulations
ADMISSION, TRANSFER AND CHANGE OF COURSE
Admission to various programs will be subject to verification of facts as in the original certificates/documents of the candidates. Management reserves the right to cancel admission if a discrepancy is noted, even at a later point of time after admission. Such a decision will be final and binding on the candidate.
Admission offered to a candidate who has been provisionally admitted to a program will stand cancelled if he/she does not submit the relevant documents in original pertaining to admission (such as Mark Sheet, Transfer Certificate, Migration Certificate and Conduct Certificate, etc.) to the concerned Admissions Officer before the stipulated date.
An international student who has been granted admission to a particular course shall not be allowed to change the course subsequently. Transfer from one institution to another within Amrita Schools is not allowed. In exceptional cases, Director, Corporate and Industry Relations may permit this, subject to availability of the course, eligibility rules and permission of the competent authorities in the University.
It is the responsibility of the candidates to ascertain whether they possess the requisite qualification for admission. If the candidates furnish mark sheets of the qualifying examination only in grades, the minimum marks pertaining to the grade obtained in the course will be taken into consideration while determining the marks in science subjects.
International students are expected to abide by all the rules of the university. The code of conduct that is applicable to Indian students studying in the same course is applicable to them as well.
Smoking and consumption or usage of alcoholic intoxicants whether inside or outside campus will be considered as severe breach of discipline. Any act within the campus that may violate or spoil the academic atmosphere in the university will not be tolerated. Student found guilty of such offences will be dismissed and sent back to their country without any cost to Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Anti-social and anti-national activities, misbehavior, violence and unethical activities involving international students will be dealt in accordance with state and central laws that are in force. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham will not take any responsibility for any criminal or non-criminal acts committed inside or outside the campus by the international students.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University does not tolerate ragging in any form on the campuses. We strictly comply with the Supreme Court of India order -- Curbing Ragging in Educational Institutions. Immediate academic rustication will be the minimum punishment for any form of reported ragging.
EXAMINATION AND AWARD OF DEGREE
The process of examination, grading and award of the degree for international students is the same as that for Indian students.
Other than course fee and registration fee, one has to pay hostel charges and mess charges in Indian rupees.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University is a self-financing university and does not receive any grant from the Government. Concessions and scholarships are not generally available to international students.
- All payments (registration fee, tuition fee) should be made through Demand Draft in favour of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. Hostel and Mess charges including other fee should also be remitted by bank draft in Indian Rupees.
- Dollars in the form of currency notes and cheques are not accepted.
- All fees should be paid on an annual basis on or before the notified date.
- Partial payment is not allowed.
- All fees and charges are subject to revision.
- Registration fee of US $300 is non refundable. Therefore only those who have a reasonable chance of meeting admission criteria should register in advance.
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is not responsible for any mail/demand draft lost in transit.
Separate hostel facilities are provided for girls and boys. Postgraduate students and final-year undergraduate students are allotted single rooms. All hostels are equipped with solar water heaters for hot water supply. The students' stay in the hostels enables them to imbibe a different lifestyle and get involved in activities including yoga, meditation, sports, music, etc.
International students are expected to live in the hostel during their course of study. Students are not permitted to live in rented houses, lodges, either alone or in groups.
Amrita attaches great importance to the nature of lifestyle in and out of the campus. Pure vegetarian food prepared under hygienic conditions is served in the student dining halls and the canteens from a central kitchen.
REMEDIAL COURSE IN ENGLISH
An international student who has been granted admission to any of the courses after passing the qualifying examination from a statutory Board or University outside India may have to appear at the Proficiency Test in English conducted by the Institution or any other organization. International students who have passed the qualifying examination in the English medium are exempted from this test.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHEN WILL THE PROVISIONAL ADMISSION BE CONFIRMED?
Admission will be confirmed only on fulfilling all the eligibility conditions, submission of requisite documents as mentioned ( see Documents Required for Admission to International Student), payment of registration fee and first year course fee.
WHO CAN SPONSOR AN NRI-S CANDIDATE?
Either of the parents who are NRIs can sponsor an NRI-S candidate. No other relatives are permitted to sponsor.
DO YOU HAVE ANY AGENTS OR REPRESENTATIVES THROUGH WHOM INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS CAN APPLY?
No, we do not have any agents or representatives for admission. All international admissions are conducted through the office of the Director, Corporate and Industry Relations, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (University). Students and parents are advised to not approach any middlemen but apply themselves.
Please see Contact Information above.