About Central Library
Central Library is the hub of the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapetham University, Amritapuri Campus. It is a Learning Resource Centre and supports the teaching and learning activities of all the Students, Research Scholars, Faculty Members and all other staff members in this campus. The Central Library has carpet area of 1500 square meters.
The Library follows open access system. It has separate sections like spacious stack area, Circulation Counter, Information Desk, Digital Library, Periodical section, Reference section, Acquisition Section, Technical Section, WiFi enabled Reading halls for boys and girls. Collection development is one of the main roles to satisfy the need of the end users. Each year an average of 3500 selected books are added to the collection. Likewise, important journals and on line data bases are also added to the collection. Central Library has signed a MOU with Delnet, New Delhi. The Library maintains its web page for up to date information to its users.
|Total No. of Books||47200|
|Total No. of Reference Books||4596|
|Total No. of E- Books||364|
|Total No. of Online Journals||7500+|
|Total No. of Print Periodicals||160+|
|Total No. of CDs||2350|
|Total No. of Question papers bound volume||112|
|Total No. of Project Reports/Dissertations/Theses||150+|
|Total No. of Dailies||10|
The Library uses Amrita University Management System (AUMS) which is in-house software developed by Amrita Technologies to support all in-house operations of the Central Library. The AUMS consists of various modules on cataloguing, circulation, OPAC and other Library administrative functions. All the Books are Bar-coded.
Organization of Collections
Universal Decimal Classification system is followed for arrangement of books. New arrival of books is displayed on the new arrivals rack for a period of one week to the user reference and awareness. Books Location guides are available in the stack area.
Reference section has good collection of reference books, such as Encyclopedias, Handbooks, Manuals, Dictionaries, Directories, Yearbooks, Competitive Examination Books etc., these collections are continuously updated and new editions are added. Subject based text book references are given more preference for the users. Previous year question papers are also available in bound volume for reference.
Digital Library supports the access of online databases. High speed Internet connectivity is available. Number of CD collections are accessed by the users and allowed them for lending also. More than 5000+ online journals are subscribed by the Central Library and arranged for the access to whole campus through LAN. Major online data bases are,
- Science Direct, IEEE online, Springer
- J-Gate, ASTM, ASME, Scopus
- Mc-Graw Hill Engineering E-Books
In addition the Library has good collections of,
- Delnet – Resources & NPTEL video lectures of IIT.
VIDYA Digital Library and DSpace
The Vidya Digital Library has a large collection of Electronic information in the mode of E-Books, E-newspapers, Video Lectures etc., on various major fields. The collection storage is more than 4 terabytes. Special collections like Placement oriented soft skills, Wikipedia and Tutorials are also included. The Library maintains a good collection of Institutional repositories/Digital repositories through the Dspace software.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) Signed with Delnet
Central Library has signed MOU with Developing Library Network (DELNET) New Delhi.
Central Library is a member of Delnet (Developing Library Network). Through this membership all the users can access Delnet resources through Delnet web page. Inter Library Loan for books and Document delivery services for journal articles are the major services of Delnet. Our students, research scholars, faculty members are using this service.
This section has a selected collection of national and international journals and magazines. The latest issues are displayed on periodical display rack. Old issues are allowed for circulation. Numbers of back volumes are made available for reference. Documentation of article is also available. New arrivals are noticed through Current awareness service.
Our Library staff team is assisting the users in accessing the necessary resources and guide them to get the most of the information resources. The Library provide various services such as,
- Online renewal/ online reservation service
- CD – circulation service
- OPAC service
- High speed internet service
- Vidya Digital Library service
- NPTEL& DSpace online service
- Delnet services ( ILL and DDS)
- Print journals and documentation service
- Newspaper Clippings service
- Current awareness service
- On line Data base services
- New arrival service
- E mail alert service
- Book Circulation Service
- Reprography service
- WiFi access service in Reading Halls
- Suggestion Box – update service
- Reference Books overnight issue service
- Library Web page service
- Books tracing service through Email
- User Education Service
- Library space extended and separate sections for stack area,refererence, digital library, periodicals, reading halls etc.,
- Good number of books, journals and E-Resources have been added
- New book stacks & Periodical stacks were added
- New technical Section created
- New reference section created
- New Digital library created
- Barcode printer, Barcode scanners were added
- Delnet Institutional Member Ship. MoU signed with Delnet.
- Organized Delnet workshop, Elsevier author workshop
- Library orientation programme has been conducted for all the UG/ PG students and Faculty members
- Organized to visit the International Book Fair at Trivandrum for the faculty members to select books for Central Library.
- Reprography/Photocopy service started
- Circulation eligibility has been increased for students and Faculty
- Barcode entries for gate register
- Central Library and DELNET have jointly organized a one day workshop “DELNET: Resources, Services and facilities” at Amritapuri Campus on 28.1.2012. The workshop helps us to effectively use the Delnet facilities and also useful for the automating libraries by using Koha Software: An open- source Integrated Library Management System.
- Central Library and Elsevier have jointly organized an author workshop WebEx on 11.09.2013 for the benefit of our students and faculty members.
- Central Library Ettimadai/Amritapuri and Elsevier have organized a presentation on Elsevier publications through A-View on 23.01.2014 for the benefit of students and faculty members.
- Organised a Book Exhibition
|Days||Library working hours||Circulation|
|Monday to Friday||8:00 AM to 10:00 PM||8:00 AM to 8:00 PM|
|Saturday||8:00 AM to 6:00 PM||8:00 AM to 5:00 PM|
|Holidays||9:00 AM to 1:00 PM||Nil|