Amrita RITE Internship Program
Amrita CREATE organized Amrita serve Rural summer internship for students of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham under the Amrita SeRVe (Amrita Self Reliant Villages), an adoption project of 101 villages in India, commemorating Amma’s 60thbirthday celebrations
A total of 15 teams dedicated two weeks for selfless service, with 46 students and 16 staff members in total.
Internships took place in 15 states across India, including: Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Goa, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradeshand Jharkhand.
Amrita students have the unique opportunity to participate in this immersive rural internship program. The internship serves as an exchange between students and the villagers they work with, allowing students to learn about the rich traditions, culture, and strength latent in India’s villages. Students also come away with a better understanding of the unique challenges facing rural India.
Summer Internship Activities
- Interns support tuition classes for school going children using tablet technology.
- Dropouts are motivated to return to school and begin bridge courses.
- Interns begin functional literacy and numeracy classes for adults.
- Interns lead educational, social, health, and sanitation awareness campaigns.
- Interns begin kitchen gardens, plant trees, and teach composting.
- Interns promote rainwater harvesting and watershed development.
- Interns serve as role-models to build self-confidence, strengthen local culture, and cultivate love and respect for nature through games, yoga, meditation, street plays, dance, and music.
- Interns gather information about strengths and challenges facing villagers through surveys.
- Interns participate in village-wide Amala Bharatam cleanup drives, serving as inspiration for a cleaner India.
2014 – Booklet