Unit I: Education as an evolving concept
- Concept and Aims of Education.
- Education in India - Ancient, Medieval and Western systems of education in India (Macaulay’s Minutes and Wood’s Dispatch), Education Commissions in pre Independence India(Hunter’s Commission, Sargent Report).
- Relationship between Philosophy and Education.
- Contributions of Indian Philosophers in Education - Swami Vivekananda, Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhiji and Sarvepalli Radha Krishnan.
Unit II: Constitutional provisions related to education
- Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Rights and Duties.
- Articles related to education (15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 21a, 24, 28, 29, 30, 45, 350,350a)
- Constitutional values related to education.
Unit III: Policies and Programmes
- University Education Commission (Radhakrishnan commission1948-49), Secondary Education Commission (Mudaliar Commission 1952-53), Indian Education Commission (Kothari Commission 1964-66).
- NPE 1986, Revised NPE (1992)
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) - Akshara Dasoha, Nali – Kali, Chaitanya, Edu sat.
- RMSA, RTE Act (2009), RUSA, Role of DIET’s, NCERT, DSERT and NCTE.
- Higher education system- structure and role of UGC and NUEPA.
Unit IV: Diversities in India
- National and emotional integration.
- Indian society - Unity in diversity, inequality and marginalization.
- Languages and media of instruction in schools.
Unit V: Education in the global context
- Liberalization, Privatization and Globalization in education (L.P.G.) - Implications for quality and expansion.
- Education as investment – Human resource development 5.3 Education for international understanding.