Unit I: Gender Roles
- Patriarchy, feminism and gender.
- Meaning of gender roles, influences of gender roles.
- Gender bias, trans- gender, gender stereotyping.
Unit II: Women Empowerment
- Women empowerment – concept, meaning and need.
- Policy initiatives relating to women empowerment-schemes and programmes relating to various commissions and committees.
Unit III: Gender and Education
- Gender Identities and Socialisation practices in- family, schools.
- Girls education- issues of access, retention and exclusion-National Policy Beti Bachao Beti Padhao.
- Violence against women- Family, school, work place and media (print and electronic).
Unit IV: Elimination of Gender Disparity
- Gender disparity and Curriculum-role of Co-Education in eliminating gender disparity.
- Teacher as an agent of change in eliminating gender disparity and gender In-equality.
- Role of society, family, school, counselors,women and Child Welfare Department and Media.
Unit V: Gender Equality - Issues and Challenges
- Indian Constitutional Provisions relating to women; Violence against women - female infanticide, human trafficking.
- Legal provisions relating to protection of rights of women. Role of UNO.
- Institutions for redressal of sexual harassment and abuse.