Unit I: Learner as a Developing Individual
- Meaning of childhood, Concept of growth and development, Stages of development.
- Developmental Characteristics of a child.
- Vygotsky’s and Piaget’s - Cognitive development.
- Erikson- psycho social development.
Unit II: Adolescence
- Meaning and characteristics.
- Developmental tasks of an adolescent and their implications.
- Factors influencing development - heredity and environment.
Unit III: Personality
- Concept of personality.
- Approaches to personality.
- Balanced personality- endocrine system.
Unit IV: Contexts of Socialization
- Concept of socialization – role of family.
- Schooling: peer influences, relationships with teachers.
- Social, economic and cultural differences in socialization.
Unit V: Current Issues in Child Development
- Understanding concept of legal childhood
- Constitutional provisions for the young child
- Protecting the rights and cultural practices and ethnic identity of minority children