Unit I: Guidance
- Guidance – Meaning, nature, principles uses with reference to schools.
- Educational guidance –meaning, objectives, nature, scope, promotion of parental collaboration, role of Schools.
- Vocational guidance- meaning, objectives, need and role of schools, peer and parents influence, societal needs.
Unit II: Guidance Services
- Guidance service in schools – Individual-Group, guidance bureau and its functions, Role of Head master and Career master, Organization of guidance programmes at the secondary school stage.
- Types of Guidance Services –orientation, pupil inventory, placement, counseling and follow up.
- Group guidance – meaning, advantages over individual guidance. Group guidance techniques, Group guidance programmes in schools – Orientation talks - Career Talks - Career Visits – Career Conference – Career Exhibition-Career resource center.
Unit III: Tools and Techniques of Guidance
- Test and its benefit - intelligence –attitude - aptitude – interest - personality.
- Tools and techniques for collecting data – observation, rating scales, anecdotal records, sociometry, case study, cumulative records, fact finding interview.
- Self-Report - Personal data blank, autobiography, diary.
Unit IV: Counselling
- Counselling – meaning, nature, distinction between guidance and counselling, important features, steps of counselling process, different approaches of counselling - directive, nondirective, eclectic, Types of Counselling – Individual , Group –Group counselling process – Differentiate Group Guidance and Group Counselling-qualities and qualifications of a counsellor.
- Basic skills in Counselling - observation, communication, making notes and reflections, interview, history, developing case histories of adolescence –physical/mental/emotional/social, documenting information, Analysis working with other professionals, further planning.
Unit V: Counseling for Children with Special Needs
- Ethics in counselling, legal responsibilities.
- Guidance and counselling for children with special needs- role of teacher in dealing students with special needs..