Unit I: Introduction
- Numbersystem, Set, Progression of numbers, Profit and Loss, Banking, Statistics.
- Introduction to Algebra, Exponents, Factorisation, HCF and LCM, Simultaneous, Linear Equations, Variations.
- Introduction to Geometry, Triangles, Polygons, Quadrilaterals, Circles, Basic concepts of Trigonometry.
Unit II: Introduction to Teaching of Mathematics
- Nature of Mathematics.
- Mathematics as a language.
- Use of Mathematics in daily life and other branches of study.
- Contribution of Indians, Greeks and Arabsto Mathematics.
- Value of History of Mathematics to a mathematics Teacher.
- Values of Teaching Mathematics.
Unit III: Planning for Teaching Mathematics
- General Objectives of Teaching Mathematics at the Secondary School Level.
- Writing Instructional Objectives in Mathematics.
- Preparation of Year Plan, Unit Plan and Lesson Plan (Constructivist Approach).
- Content categories in Mathematics- : Concept and Facts.
- Content analysis of secondary school mathematics curriculum.
Unit IV: Approaches for Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching of Concepts- Concept Attainment Model.
- Teaching of Generalizations-Inductive and deductive approaches.
- Problem Solving Approach.
Unit V: Resources for Teaching Mathematics
- Printed Resources- Text books, Work books and Resource unit.
- Audio –Visual Resources & Computers.
- Websites related to Mathematics Education.