Course Duration: 45 Hours
The main purpose of the subject is to understand what drugs do to the living organisms and how their effects can be applied to therapeutics. The subject covers the information about the drugs like, mechanism of action, physiological and biochemical effects (pharmacodynamics) as well as absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion (pharmacokinetics) along with the adverse effects, clinical uses, interactions, doses, contraindications and routes of administration of different classes of drugs.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to
- Understand the pharmacological actions of different categories of drugs
- Explain the mechanism of drug action at organ system/sub cellular/ macromolecular levels.
- Apply the basic pharmacological knowledge in the prevention and treatment of various diseases.
- Observe the effect of drugs on animals by simulated experiments
- Appreciate correlation of pharmacology with other bio medical sciences