Unit I: The Reading Process
- Objectives of Reading.
- The reading process - Reading variety of Texts.
- Types of Reading and Texts - Exploratory reading, Conceptual reading, Historical reading, Policy Documents, Narrative Texts, Expository Texts (Predictive), Autobiographical Texts, Field Experiences, Ethnographies.
Unit II: Reading Comprehension
- Reading Skills – Skimming and Scanning.
- Development - Critical reading, skill reading and writing.
- Responding to a text , Own opinion ,Writing with in Context.
Unit III: Reading: Pedagogical Aspects
- Role of Language and Pedagogical aspects in Reading.
- Impact of types of reading on students.
- Reading of different texts – Science, Mathematics, Language, Social Science, Various Class-room activities to develop reading skills.
Unit IV: Reflections of Reading
- Documentation, Note taking, Reflective Journals, Note making.
- Analysis of various text structures.
- Difference between reading for comprehension/meaning and reading for pleasure, oral, silent reading, aural-oral-visual.
Unit V: Reading and Evaluation
- Uses of Reading - Check the Prediction, Answers to Question, Summarises the texts Influence on Writing.
- Evaluation of loud reading – check pronunciation, use of punctuations, pause, stress.