ISRO Sponsored National Seminar onTechniques and Applications of Hyperspectral Image Analysis
The department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Coimbatore campus is organizing an ISRO sponsored National Seminar onTechniques and Applications of Hyperspectral Image Analysis on April 19th-20th, 2016.
About the Workshop
Over the past decade hyperspectral imaging has matured into a powerful and a wieldy technology in remote sensing and other research areas. Hyperspectral imagery (HSI) provides detailed spectral information in each pixel. The narrow bands in HSI over a wide range of wavelengths can enable excellent discrimination capability for subtly different target classes compared to multispectral or other imaging modalities. The availability of this rich information in HSI can also be a drawback as this becomes a challenge to efficiently process them. This needs to be tackled by exploring and developing new methodologies for processing HSI data. The major application fields of hyperspectral image processing includes but not limited to
- Geology - Mineral detection, Cover homogeneity
- Defense - Target detection, Mine detection
- Public safety - Logistics &operations, Fire risk, floods
- Regulation & Policy making-Urban growth Settlements, population movements
- Introduction to Hyperspectral and Multispectral Image Processing
- LIDAR Image Processing
- Algorithms and application areas of hyperspectral image processing
- Advanced spatial statistical methods for high dimensional satellite data processing and analysis.
- Fuzzy sets, granular computing on hyperspectral images
Some of the widely studied problems in HSI community:
- Land cover classification.
- Target detection (Civilian and Military applications)
- Estimation of biophysical parameters of targets.
- Detection of soil properties such as moisture, organic content, and salinity
- Coastal monitoring, mapping forestry vegetation types, and mineral mapping.
- Detection and estimation of vegetation stress due to events like oil spill.
- Estimation of herbicide drifts and other diseases on agricultural crops.
- Estimation of the abundance and mixture of materials per pixel.
- Feature extraction/Selection.
- Supervised, unsupervised and Active Learning Methods under limited training sets.
- Spatial-Temporal classification methods
- Pixel un-mixing and compression
The challenges of HSI processing includes
- Hughes phenomenon of limited ground truth availability.
- Real time analysis and understanding.
- Development of algorithms that utilizes HPC and parallel processing capabilities.
- Need for integrated software/hardware solutions in hyperspectral imaging
- Development of processing algorithms on several types of parallel platforms, including commodity clusters of computers, large scale distributed systems, and specialized hardware architectures
About the Department
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering is offering technology oriented courses and creating manpower in the strategic areas well compatible with the industrial expectations. The department envisages the wide spectrum of areas including, Electronics circuits, Signal processing, Communication Technology, Biomedical Instrumentation and other applied areas focusing towards making brighter career path.
Research is the prime focus for the faculty and students who put in their efforts to produce tangible outcomes in the form of publications, patents and funded projects. For more details »
About the University
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham established under the guidance of Satguru Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, with its head quarters at Ettimadai, Coimbatore is one of the youngest educational institutions in India to have been granted the University status. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham is one of the very few universities to have a multi-campus, multi-disciplinary character, offering under graduate, post graduate and research programmes. NAAC has accredited A Grade to Amrita University.
Last date for Online Registration. : April 10th, 2016
Intimation regarding Selection : April 11th, 2016
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Amrita School of Engineering
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Coimbatore - 641 112
Ph. 0422 2685000 / Extn: 5721