Will the Robots Replace Teachers? How to Become a 21st Century Teacher?
2020-12-31 @ 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Technology has changed both the teaching and learning process sooner than was expected. COVID19 forced the teaching community to move the whole teaching and assessment to online platform. As we all move forward hopefully with the expectation of normalcy, teachers need to think of better ways to evaluate and assess the student community. Students are becoming more smarter than teachers. National Education Policy 2020 too will bring a huge change in the teaching and learning process. Teachers are expected to be competent enough by the time the NEP start rolling out.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, is trying to upskill the school teachers in the country through various teaching pedagogies. 21st Century skills essential for the students:
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
- Data & Digital Literacy
- People Management
- Emotional Intelligence
- Cognitive Flexibility
- Judgement & Decision Making
Implementing Experiential Learning in Schools
Experiential learning is learning by doing. Experiential learning is learner centric. Learner plays a bigger role in this teaching & learning process. A student is never a passive witness in this process. Content, idea and the concept used by the teacher in each subject must be largely relevant to the learner. It is always good to have a real life example to connect with the concept. Spontaneous learning opportunities shall be strongly encouraged and recognised. Teachers shall expose students towards challenging situations to experiment and discover proper solutions. A strong emotional reaction is expected from the learner. Teacher is the facilitator to encourage students to understand the link between theory & experience. Involvement in observation, heuristic conversation, brainstorming sessions, project based learning, case study, role playing, educational games, simulation, presentation, team based-projects etc. are the key components in Experiential Learning. Possible assignments to get students involved in various subjects:
- Public Speaking (online)
- Essay Writing (Blogs)
- Debates on topics affecting the common man and the society or even students.
- Listening to TED talks, speeches by eminent people – Students may be asked to prepare their learning as a report after listening to the talk.
- Blogging of their assignments to improve writing skills
- Tools to identify fake news – online news and social media
- Assignments using the tools to improve language speaking & listening skills
- Case studies of COVID 19 – Reasons for spread
- Influence of climatic conditions in virus spread
- Infection of several virus among various age groups
- Lifestyle of patients who got infected
- Various companies that has offered vaccine from India and abroad – company background, tests conducted, its results, etc.
- Has the indigenous medicines helped to increase immunity
- How satellite has helped in giving warning on natural calamities
- Preparing report based on the findings of ISRO, NASA etc. and its impact in the life of a common man.
- How science and technology has improved the life of common man?
- Impact of basic sciences in the field of education
- Prediction of virus infection with the existing data
- Mathematical Modelling and Prediction of issues faced by common man
- Impact on economy because of the pandemic
- Technology in commerce – mobile and web applications to manage accounts
- How students too can be entrepreneurs?
- Fluctuation in the market prices of essential commodities
- Understanding the essential and non-essential habits in the life style to manage expenses
- Social Service – activities
- Online Research on law and order across the cities & state
- Awareness programmes on Pollution, Water management, effective traffic jam management, etc.
- Waste Management
- Food Adulteration and its impact on health – healthy food habits
- Understanding & demonstration of human principles in life
- Using Arts & Music for stress management
- Awareness programmes to inculcate values & moral principles
- History of pandemics and its impact on human life & learning from the pandemics