Dr. M. R. Kaimal
Dr. Ramachandran Kaimal currently serves as Professor and Chairperson at the Department of Computer Science at Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri.
Dr. Kaimal earned his Ph. D. in 1978 from the Mehta Research Institute, now known as the Harish Chandra Institute in Allahabad under the guidance of (Late) Padmabhushan Prof. P. L. Bhatnagar and Prof. Phoolan Prasad. During the years 1981-1984, he served as Visiting Fellow at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland in USA. He was Professor and Head of the Department of Computer Science during the period March 1987 - April 2009. Dr. Kaimal also served as Dean of the Faculty of Applied Sciences at the University of Kerala during the periods 1993-1995 and 2004-2006. In August 2008, he served as Visiting Scientist at the Mobile Intelligent and Autonomous Systems (MIAS) Unit, CSIR in South Africa. He has worked on a major ISRO-funded research project titled Development of Methodologies based on Neuro-Fuzzy and Genetic Algorithms for Modelling and Control of Systems.
Dr. Kaimal has over 30 years of teaching and research experience. In his illustrious career, he has published about 60 papers in top journals including the Journal of Math, Imaging and Vision, Computer Journal, IEEE Signal Proc. Letters, International Journal of Engineering Science, Transactions of ASME, IEEE Transactions, Fuzzy Systems, Sadhana and Foundations of Computer Science.
Dr. Kaimal's current research focuses on Artificial Intelligence and its applications to Image Processing and Knowledge Discovery. Other areas of interest include Machine Learning Algorithms, Pattern Recognition, Data Compression and Coding Algorithms.
Dr. Kaimal has successfully guided 13 Ph.D.s in Computer Science and 1 Ph.D. in Mathematics. In addition he has overseen the theses work of nearly 40 M.Tech. students and several M.Phil. students.
|Year of Publication||Publication Type||Title|
|2014||Conference Paper||S.a Harikumar, Reethima, R., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Semantic integration of heterogeneous relational schemas using multiple L1 linear regression and SVD”, in International Conference on Data Science and Engineering, ICDSE 2014, 2014, pp. 105-111.[Abstract]|
|2014||Conference Paper||S.a Harikumar, Shyju, M., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “SQL-MapReduce hybrid approach towards distributed projected clustering”, in International Conference on Data Science and Engineering, ICDSE 2014, 2014, pp. 18-23.[Abstract]|
|2013||Conference Paper||M. Geetha, Aswathi, P. V., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A Stroke Based Representation of Indian Sign Language Signs Incorporating Global and Local Motion Information”, in Second International Conference on Advanced Computing, Networking and Security, 2013.[Abstract]|
|2009||Conference Paper||J. Rajan, Kannan, K., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Smoothening and Sharpening Effects of Theta in Complex Diffusion for Image Processing”, in Seventh International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, , 2009.[Abstract]|
|2009||Conference Paper||S. Aji, Jayanthi, T., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Gender Identification in Face Images using KPCA”, in Nature & Biologically Inspired Computing, 2009. NaBIC 2009. World Congress on, Coimbatore, 2009.[Abstract]|
|2006||Conference Paper||M. George and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “On the Storage Capabilities of Radial Basis Function Neural Networks”, in Digital Information Management, 2006 1st International Conference on, Bangalore, 2006.[Abstract]|
|2006||Conference Paper||T. S. Bindulal and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Adaptive Scalable Wavelet Difference Reduction Method for Efficient Image Transmission”, in ICVGIP, 2006.[Abstract]|
|2006||Conference Paper||B. T. S. and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Embedded WDR algorithm with Selective Region Growing for DICOM Images”, in Proc. of 3rd Workshop on Computer Vision (WCVGIP 2006), Hyderabad, 2006.|
|2006||Conference Paper||B. T. S. and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “ Efficient Medical Image Compression and Transmission based on Scalable Wavelet Difference Reduction Method, International Conference on Information and Automation”, in International Conference on Information and Automation, Sri Lanka, 2006.|
|2006||Conference Paper||J. Rajan and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Comparative Analysis of Fourth Order and Complex PDEs for Noise Removal”, in Proc. International Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (ICSCI) , 2006.|
|2004||Conference Paper||P. P. Mohanlal and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Design of optimal fuzzy observer based on TS fuzzy model”, in FUZZ-IEEE, 2004.[Abstract]|
|2004||Conference Paper||P. P. Mohanlal and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Fuzzy modeling and optimal control of nonlinear second order systems”, in FUZZ-IEEE, 2004.[Abstract]|
|2004||Conference Paper||R. Rajesh and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Controller for six dimensional inverted pendulum system”, in Inter. Conf. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 2004.|
|2003||Conference Paper||R. Mathew and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A Fuzzy Approach to the Game of Chicken Based on Fuzzy Expected Value Models”, in IICAI, 2003.|
|2002||Conference Paper||P. P. Mohanlal, Dr. Kaimal, M. R., and Dasgupta, S., “Exact Fuzzy Modeling and Optimal control of a Launch Vehicle in the atmospheric phase”, in ICARCV, 2002.[Abstract]|
|2002||Conference Paper||R. Rajesh and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Automatic Fuzzy Controllers for Gyros.”, in National Systems Society Conference, 2002.|
|Year of Publication||Publication Type||Title|
|2007||Journal Article||R. Rajesh and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A Novel Method for the Design of Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Controllers with Stability Analysis using Genetic Algorithm”, Engineering Letters, vol. 14, pp. 15-26, 2007.|
|2004||Journal Article||R. Mathew and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A fuzzy approach to the 2 × 2 games and an analysis of the game of chicken”, International Journal of Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Engineering Systems, vol. 8, no. Volume 8, Number 4/2004, pp. 181-188, 2004.[Abstract]|
|2004||Journal Article||R. Mathew and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A Fuzzy Approach to Strategic Games Using Fuzzy Expected Value Models”, Journal of Computer Society of India, vol. 34, No. 2 vol., pp. pp.40-47, 2004.|
|2003||Journal Article||R. Rajesh and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Semi-Circular Membership Function for Fuzzy systems”, Journal of Computer Society of India, 2003.|
|2002||Journal Article||R. Rajesh, Mohanlal., P. P., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “An Optimal Rule generation Scheme Using Genetic Algorithms for the Design of a Fuzzy Logic Controller”, Jl of System society of India, 2002.|
|1995||Journal Article||M. R. Dr. Kaimal and Sreekumar, R., “ On Selecting Best Replacement Node in Point Quad tree Deletion”, SRC-95, Computer Society of India, , 1995.|
|1992||Journal Article||A. P. Korah and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “A Short Note on Perfectly Balanced Binary Search Trees”, Comput. J., vol. 35, pp. 660-662, 1992.[Abstract]|
|1990||Journal Article||A. P. Korah and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Dynamic Optimal Binary Search Tree”, Int. J. Found. Comput. Sci., vol. 1, pp. 449-464, 1990.[Abstract]|
|1981||Journal Article||R. Acharya, Chandra, P., and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “ A Hydrodynamic Study of the Flow in Renal Tubules”, Bull. Math. Biol., , vol. Vol. 43, pp. pp 151- 163 , 1981.|
|1981||Journal Article||M. R. Dr. Kaimal, “Propagation Characteristics in Distensible Tubes containing a Viscoelastic Fluid”, J. Biomechanics, , vol. vol.14, pp. pp 47-63, 1981.|
|1978||Journal Article||P. L. Bhatnagar and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “Free Convection Flow Past a Vertical Wall,”, J. Math. Phy. Sci. , vol. vol. 13(5) , pp. pp 283-305 , 1978.|
|Year of Publication||Publication Type||Title|
|2006||Conference Proceedings||R. Rajesh, T. Kumar, S., Dr. Kaimal, M. R., and Suresh, K. K., “Teaching The design of T-S Fuzzy Controllers for an Under-Graduate Course”, Control, Virtual Instrumentation and Digital Systems, Research in Computing Science, vol. 24. pp. pp. 131-140, 2006.|
|2005||Conference Proceedings||R. Mathew and Dr. Kaimal, M. R., “ Some remarks on the stability conditions of Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Controllers”, Proc. of the 8th IASTED International Conference on Intelligent System and Control (ISC-2005). Cambridge, USA, 2005.|
|2001||Conference Proceedings||M. R. Dr. Kaimal, Bhat, C. S., and , “Application of Chaotic Noise Reduction Techniques to Chaotic data trained by ANN”. Bangalore , 2001.|
|1997||Conference Proceedings||M. R. Dr. Kaimal, K., M. Y. M., P., B., and P, K. V., “Computer Aided Assessment of Risk of Stone Formation”, Proceedings of the Ninth Kerala Science Congress. pp. pp 391 - 394, 1997.|
|1994||Conference Proceedings||M. R. Dr. Kaimal and Sherly, E., “ A Neural Network Approach to Air Quality Prediction”, Proceedings of the fifth Kerala Science Congress, . pp. pp. 413 – 416,, 1994.|
1. P.P.Mohanlal, M. R. Kaimal, Exact Fuzzy Modelling and Optimal Control of the Inverted Pendulum on Cart, ICARCV - 2002, Singapore, 2002.
2. P. P. Mohanlal, S Dasgupta , M. R. Kaimal, Exact Fuzzy Modelling and Optimal Control of a Launch Vehicle in the Atmospheric Phase, International (IEEE) Con. of Control., Las Vegas, 2002.
3. R. Rajesh, M. R. Kaimal, Fuzzy Logic Controllers with Guaranteed stability: A design using Genetic Algorithm, High Performance Computing HPC Asia 2002 , Bangalore, 2002.
4. M. R. Kaimal, Liza Jo, A Progressive Coding Scheme for Efficient Image Compression Using Discrete Cosine Transform, Proceedings of the IEEE Int.Natl.Conf., ADCOM 2000, Cochin, 2000.
5. R. Rajesh, M. R. Kaimal, Design of an Adaptive Fuzzy Logic Controller Using MATLAB, MATLAB India Millennium Conference, MATH WORKS Inc., Bangalore, Nov 2000.
6. Liza Jo, M. R. Kaimal, Preserving Visual Quality in Image Compression Using Self- Organizing Maps, Proc. Of Conference on Engineering Application of Neural Networks (EANN - 99), Poland, September 1999.
7. Liza Jo, M. R. Kaimal, A Self Organizing Neural Network for Second Generation Image Coding, Proceedings of the Turkish Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks (TAINN -99), Turkey, June 1999.
8. Liza Jo, M. R. Kaimal, Image Compression using Self-Organizing Neural Networks, Proc. National Seminar on Artificial Neural Networks, and Cognitive Systems, CUSAT, September 1998.
9. Liza Jo, M. R. Kaimal, Image Compression Using Self-Organizing Neural Networks Modified to Treat Edge Degradation, Proc. Of International Conference on Cognitive Systems, (ICCS -98), December 1998.
10. M. R. Kaimal, Neuro Fuzzy Systems (in Neuro Fuzzy Control Systems), Narosa Publishing House, 1997.
11. M. R. Kaimal, Chandra Sekhara Bhat, Identification and construction of Bifurcation diagram of Logistic Map Using artificial neural networks in Neuro Fuzzy Control Systems, Narosa Publishing House, 1997.
12. M. R. Kaimal, Chandra Sekhara Bhat, Application of artificial neural network to chaos proceedings of the 4th international conference on AI Bangalore, published by Tata McGraw Hill Ed. M. Vidyasagar, 1996.
13. Elizabeth Sherly, M. R. Kailmal, An Artificial Neural Network Approach for a Biological Control System, Proceedings of the 4th International Computing Congress, Tata McGraw Hill (Pub), pp 104-110, 1993.
14. A. P. Korah, M. R. Kaimal, Globally Balancing of Binary Search Tree - A Recursive Algorithm, In: Compute Systems and Applications Recent Trends, Tata McGraw Hill (pub), pp 36-43), 1990.
15. M.R. Kaimal, J. L. Stephenson, Analysis of p-Aminohippurate Transport in the Kidney, Proceedings of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, NEW ORLEANS, USA, 1982.
16. R. Rajesh, M. R. Kaimal, Automatic Fuzzy Controllers for Gyros., National Systems Society Conference, December 2002.
17. R. Rajesh, P. P. Mohanlal., M. R. Kaimal, An Optimal Rule generation Scheme Using Genetic Algorithms for the Design of a Fuzzy Logic Controller, Jl of System society of India, 2002.
18. M. R. Kaimal, Marikkar Y. M. K., Brinda P., Kulkarni V. P., Computer Aided Assessment of Risk of Stone Formation, Proceedings of the Ninth Kerala Science Congress, pp 391 - 394, January 1997.
19. M. R. Kaimal, R. Sreekumar, On Selecting Best Replacement Node in Point Quad tree Deletion, SRC-95, Computer Society of India, 1995.
20. M. R. Kaimal, Elizabeth Sherly, A Neural Network Approach to Air Quality Prediction, Proceedings of the fifth Kerala Science Congress, pp. 413 – 416, 1994.
21. M. R. Kaimal, A. P. Korah, Non- linear Hashing: A fast accessing method for large dynamic files, Proceedings of the fifth Kerala Science Congress, pp. 456 – 460, 1993.
22. M. R. Kaimal, A. P. Korah, Optimal Binary Search Tree and its performance under prolonged Random updates, Proceedings of the Third Kerala Science Congress, pp. 386 – 390, 1991.
23. M. R. Kaimal, Joemon M. Jose, Knowledge Representation: A Fuzzy Approach, 2nd Kerala Science Congress, Trivandrum, February 1990.
24. M. R. Kaimal, A. P. Korah, A Dynamic Hashing Scheme Achieving One access Retrieval and Insertion, Proceedings of the Second Kerala Science Congress, 1990.
25. M. R. Kaimal, Elizabeth Sherly, Dynamics of Glomerular Filtration - A computer aided study, Proceedings of the National Symposium on Computer-oriented Research in Mathematical Science, pp. 27 - 40, 1989.
26. M. R. Kaimal, Bifurcation Theory: Basic Concepts and some Computational Methods, Presented in the symposium on Bifurcation Theory IMS Conference, December 1985.
27. M. R. Kaimal, Mathematical Models of the Renal Medulla (invited paper presented at the International Symposium on Mathematical Modelling, KANPUR IIT, August 1985.
28. M. R. Kaimal, A Mathematical Model of Urea Cycling in the inner Renal Medulla, Presented at IMS Conference, February 1985.
29. Mercy Mani, M. R. Kaimal, On the Bifurcation solutions of B-Z Reaction Equations, IMS Conference 1985.
30. M. R. Kaimal, On Peristaltic Pumping, Presented at the Second Annual Conference, Alld Math. Sec., Allahabad, 1978.
Ph. D. Thesis Guided
- Studies on Non Linear Dynamics of Certain Reaction Systems: Mathematics - Cochin University of Science & Technology, 1989
- Data Structures and Applications: (Computer Science - University of Kerala, 1993
- Parallel Computing Methodology for Flight Simulation: Computer Science - University of Kerala, 1994
- Artificial Neural Network Approach for the Study of Certain Control System: Computer Science - University of Kerala, 1995
- Image Representation Techniques: Computer Science - University Of Kerala, 1999
- Self Organizing Maps and Transform Coding Methods for Image Compression: University Of Kerala, 1999
- Application of ANN approach to the study of Chaotic Systems. University of Kerala, 2002
- A Parallel Processing System for on-line Analysis of AE, 2003
- Analysis of Game Theory Models using Fuzzy Approaches and Genetic Algorithms. University of Kerala, 2005
- Development of Methodologies for the Design and Analysis Optimal Fuzzy logic Controllers and Models. University of Kerala, 2005
- Fuzzy Models and Model Based Control for Non-linear Systems. University of Kerala, 2005
- Artificial Neural Networks in Pattern Storage. University of Kerala, 2008
- Neuro-Fuzzy Approach for the Analysis of Myocardial Infarction.University of Kerala, 2008
- Adaptive Coding Techniques for Efficient Image Processing, 2009
No. of students presently working for Ph.D : 5
M.Phil. / M.Tech. : He also guided more than 40 M. Tech. Dissertation works.