Dr. Rakesh S. G.
Area of Specialization : Heat Power Engineering
Dr. Rakesh S.G. is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and also the ‘Associate Dean & Head’ of Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore.
Dr. Rakesh completed his B.E. from R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore and went on to do his M.E. with specialization in ‘Thermal Engineering’ at BIT, Mesra, Ranchi. Thereafter, he also completed his Ph.D. in ‘Biomedical Applications of Shockwaves’ from BIT, Mesra, Ranchi in the year 2009.
He has 25 years of rich teaching experience with reputed institutions like R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, Sir M. Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore and Amrita School of Engineering. He has been the recipient of the ‘Best Teacher’ Award in the year 1999 in Sir M. Visvesvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore. Along with the teaching pursuit, he has been heading the academic administration at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore, since 2009. Prior to this, he has worked in various capacities helping academic administration at Amrita School of Engineering, Bangalore, since 2002.
He has presented papers at various International Symposiums on Shockwaves held in India & abroad. He has three peer reviewed international research publications to his credit.
The following articles pertaining to his research work have appeared in news papers & magazines of repute:
- “Injection without a Needle” - Deccan Herald English Daily - November, 2009
- “Needleless Vaccine Device” - ‘Microbe’ magazine published by American Society for Microbiology - February, 2011
- “IISc. Designs India’s First Needleless Device” - ‘Mint’ newspaper published by The Wall Street Journal.
Member of Professional Bodies
- Life Member of ‘ISTE’
- Life Member of ‘Shockwave Society’
Positions held at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Member - Academic Council of the University
- Member - Board of Studies, Mechanical Engineering from 2007 to 2012
- Chairman - Board of Studies for the UG Programme in Mechanical Engineering for a period of 3 years from April, 2012
- Member - School Level Undergraduate Programme from 2009
- Member - University Level Undergraduate Programme from 2013
- Member - School Level Postgraduate Programme from 2009
- Member - Board of Studies for the Postgraduate Programme - ‘Thermal & Fluids Engineering’ from 2011