Vural Özdemir is senior advisor, writer & researcher on responsible innovation, emerging technology governance, and science communication in Toronto, Editor-in-Chief for OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology in New York, and Adjunct Professor at the School of Biotechnology, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham in Kerala, India.
Vural is a medical doctor, US-board accredited clinical pharmacologist and precision medicine scientist, with additional expertise in politics of technology and governance innovation.
He studies the linkages among science, technology, human values, politics and culture.
He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Pharmacology, earned a PhD in applied pharmacology at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, with major in precision medicine & drug-drug interactions. He completed a 4-year postdoctoral fellowship in personalized medicine, funded by the Ontario Mental Health Foundation, and with the mentorship of the late Professor Werner Kalow in Toronto. From 2008 to 2012, he was retrained in politics of technology, innovation, and governance in Canada.
Writings and research deal with responsible innovation, democratizing knowledge, technology futures & foresight, anticipatory governance of innovations, risk and social construction of scientific uncertainty, and epistemological diversity.
This line of research and teaching focus on technology governance innovation, and contribute to the new concept and practice of "nested governance" for transparency, reflexivity and accountability in science, technology ethics and social science.
Research and Op-Ed analyses appeared in Nature Biotechnology, British Medical Journal, Annals of Medicine, Laws, PLOS ONE, Big Data, The Project Syndicate (Prague), Milling and Grain Magazine (UK), Hürriyet Daily News (İstanbul), amongst other forums.
Vural is Co-Founder for the non-profit open innovation platform Data-Enabled Life Sciences Alliance (DELSA Global) in Seattle, and member of the Toronto International Film Festival.
- Member, World Association of Medical Editors (WAME, 2009-present);
- An avid follower of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and the ICMJE;
- Co-Founder, DELSA Global, Seattle;
- Member, Scientific Executive Committee, 2013 CINP Personalized Medicine Thematic Conference (Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum), Jerusalem, Israel;
- Member, Expert Advisory Committee for the study “Governance for Health in the 21st Century” the WHO-EURO, Geneva, Switzerland
- Member, Toronto International Film Festival
- Science & Society Faculty, Funded by the Canadian Government, 2008-2012
- DABCP, American Board of Clinical Pharmacology, 2003
- PhD, University of Toronto, 1998
- MSc, University of Toronto, 1994
- MD, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, 1990
- Adjunct Professor, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (2014 – Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology, New York, USA
- Co-Founder, DELSA Global, Open Innovation Knowledge Platform, Seattle, USA
Qualifications : MD, PhD, DABCP