Dr. Vural Ozdemir
Vural Özdemir is Editor-in-Chief for OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology, published in New York, with readership in 170 countries. A professor of communications, and senior medical innovation policy and foresight researcher, Vural has previously received a 4-year Canadian faculty award as a “SCIENCE & SOCIETY” fellow to retool in social and political science and health innovation policy. Additionally, he draws from 25 years of interdisciplinary experience as a medical doctor and life scientist in the field of precision medicine, biomarkers, diagnostics research and medical innovation at a systems level.
Vural's policy research and teaching focus on technology foresight and human-centered design, and contribute to the new concept and practice of "NESTED GOVERNANCE" for transparency and accountability in science, ethics, ethics-of-ethics, and knowledge-based innovation.
This line of work aims to cultivate "systems thinking" and thresholds for ethical acceptability of knowledge-based innovations. The methodologies focus on understanding the intertwined social and technical factors that enact on the trajectory from R&D funding, scientific design, laboratory life and practices, to innovation-in-society.
Vural has published over 140 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on socially responsible innovation; technology policy and horizon scanning; medical journalism; innovation barometers and foresight; global health and precision medicine; history of bioethics; ethics-of-ethics; human rights, diversity and inclusion; and development policy. He serves as Adjunct Professor at the School of Biotechnology, Amrita University in Kerala, India.
- Science & Society Faculty, Funded by the Canadian Government, 2008-2012
- D. A. B. C. P., American Board of Clinical Pharmacology, 2003
- Ph. D., University of Toronto, 1998
- M. Sc., University of Toronto, 1994
- M. D., Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, 1990
- Member, World Association of Medical Editors (WAME, 2009-present);
- An avid follower of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and the ICMJE;
- Co-Founder, DELSA Global, Citizen Science Alliance, Seattle;
- Member, Society for Social Studies of Science;
- Member, Scientific Executive Committee, 2013 CINP Personalized Medicine Thematic Conference (Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmacologicum), Jerusalem, Israel;
- Member, Expert Advisory Committee for the study “Governance for Health in the 21st Century” the WHO-EURO, Geneva, Switzerland
- Editor-in-Chief, OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology, New York, USA
- Full Professor, Communications, Gaziantep University, Turkey (2016)
- Co-Founder, DELSA Global, Open Innovation Knowledge Platform, Seattle, USA
- Adjunct Professor, Amrita University (2013 – Present)