Dr. Maria Grace Treasa
Dr. Maria Grace Treasa currently serves as Lecturer at the department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, Amrita School of Medicine and Amrita Center for Allied Health Sciences. Dr. Maria Grace Treasa has 8 years 7 months (3 yrs 9 months teaching & 4 yrs 10 months clinical/research experience). Her area of interest is Autism Spectrum Disorders, other childhood language disorders, adult language disorders and use of AAC for language intervention. She has being teaching theory papers for bachelor students in our university and also providing consultations and clinical supervision. She has also served as question paper setter, paper valuator for graduate and post-graduate examinations of Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS) and Amrita University. She has delivered various lectures to doctors, parents, teachers and professionals to facilitate early identification, intervention and inclusion of children with language disorders.
- Ph.D (Speech-Language Pathology), 2016, All India Institute of Speech & Hearing (AIISH), University of Mysore, Mysore.
- M.Sc (Speech-Language Pathology- SLP), 2007, AIISH, Mysore.
- B.Sc (Speech & Hearing), 2004, JSS Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore
- First Rank/ Jayalakshmamma Gold Medal M.Sc (SLP), University of Mysore.
- Abhilash Award for the Best Student Clinician, M.Sc (SLP), AIISH, Mysore.
- Third rank in B.Sc (Speech & Hearing), University of Mysore.
- Rehabilitation Council of India Registration CRR No.A12238
- Indian Speech and Hearing Association (ISHA) Life Membership No.L-1123
- ISHA-Kerala State Branch (KSB) Life Membership No. L-190
- Life member of Dravidian Linguistics Association since 2013.
|Year of Publication||Publication Type||Title|
|2015||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Soumya, J., and Blessy, M., “Pragmatics Profile in Autism: Pre- and post-Stem Cell Therapy”, in Paper presented at 47th Indian Speech and Hearing Association National Conference, Manipal, India, 2015.|
|2014||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Shyamala, K. C., Dayana, D., Akhila, A., Shibla, S., and Shirin, S., “Procedural memory in autism: Double Dissociation?”, in Paper presented at 4th Tamil Nadu-Indian Speech & Hearing Conference, Salem, India, 2014.|
|2014||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Dayana, D., Akhila, A., and Parvathy, A. M., “Voice onset time in Malayalam speaking children with autism”, in Paper presented at National Symposium on Acoustics, All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore, 2014.|
|2013||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Akhila, A., and Parvathy, A. M., “Cognitive flexibility in non-verbal children with Autism”, in National conference & CME on Cognitive & Communicative Disorders, Epilepsy & Stroke, Institute of Cognitive & Communicative Neurosciences (ICCONS), Shoranur, 2013.|
|2013||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa and Shyamala, K. C., “Expressive bound morphemes in Malayalam-speaking children with Autism Spectrum Disorders”, in 41st All India Conference of Dravidian Linguistics, University of Madras, Chennai, 2013.|
|2007||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Chand, R., and Savithri, S. R., “Vowel formants and Isovowel lines in Marchiafava-Bignami Syndrome: A Case Study”, in International Symposium on Frontiers of Research on Speech and Music, Mysore., 2007.|
|2007||Conference Paper||M. Grace Treasa, Archana, S., and Amirthavarshini, M. J., “Speech and Language characteristics in children with HIV. ”, in 37th Annual Conference of Indian Speech and Hearing Association, Indore, 2007.|
|Year of Publication||Publication Type||Title|
|2014||Journal Article||M. Grace Treasa, “Expressive bound morphemes in Malayalam-speaking children with Autism Spectrum Disorders”, International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 114 - 122, 2014.|
|2014||Journal Article||M. Grace Treasa and Chengappa, S. K., “Expressive Bound Morphemes in Malayalam Speaking Children with Down Syndrome.”, Language in India, vol. 14, pp. 832 - 842, 2014.[Abstract]|
|2014||Journal Article||M. Grace Treasa and Shyamala, K. C., “Emergence of expressive grammatical morphemes following Discrete Trial Training and Incidental Teaching: A Case Study”, Language in India, vol. 14, 2014.|
|2013||Journal Article||M. Grace Treasa and Shyamala, K. C., “EXPRESSIVE BOUND MORPHEMES IN MALAYALAM SPEAKING CHILDREN WITH SPECIFIC LANGUAGE IMPAIRMENT”, Journal of the All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, vol. 32, 2013.[Abstract]|
|2010||Journal Article||M. Grace Treasa, “Children acquired aphasia screening test in Kannada (CAAST-K)”, Student Research at AIISH, vol. 7, pp. 88 - 100, 2010.|
|2007||Journal Article||S. K. Chengappa, Bhat, S., Kapoor, P., and Treasa, M. Grace, “Language Impairments in Hindi-Speaking Children Subsequent to Traumatic Brain Injury”, Asia Pacific Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing, vol. 10, pp. 221-230, 2007.[Abstract]|
- “Speech-Language Disorders in Children” at the Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) National Conference & CME, Kochi on December 19 - 20, 2009 for Doctors and professionals.
- “Importance of parent interaction with children for communication development” at Child Developmental Evaluation, Intervention & Research Centre (CDEIRC), Ernakulam on 27-03-2010 and at Dawning Hope clinic on May 15, 2010 for parents of children with special needs.
- “Role of parents in successful speech language therapy and rehabilitation of children with Down’s syndrome” for the Association of parents of children with Down’s syndrome at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS), Ernakulam in October 2010.
- “Parents as Partners in child’s language development” at Institute of Cognitive & Communicative Neurosciences (ICCONS), Shoranur on June 9, 2012.
- “Language therapy for Autistics” during one day seminar on Autism at Sunrise Hospital, Kochi on July 8, 2012.
- Participated as a Faculty at the NCDC 2013, 9th National Conference & CME of IAP Childhood Disability Group, held at IMA House, Kochi on September 28 - 29, 2013, to support and guide parents, professionals and community regarding rehabilitation of children with disability.
- “Autism Spectrum Disorder” for Doctors and professionals during in-house weekly presentation at AIMS, Kochi on February 3, 2015.
- “Communication disorders in children- A workshop for parents” at Rajagiri Christujayanthi Kindergarten, Kochi on June 27, 2015.
- “Communication disorders in children- rehabilitation” at RedApples Kindergarten, Kochi for parents of children with autism on August 8, 2015.
- “Speech-Language Pathology” for Doctors of Dept. of ENT, AIMS, Kochi on October 3, 2015.
- Case report presentation on ‘Eye can communicate- use of E-trans as AAC’ for Doctors and professionals during in-house weekly presentation at AIMS, Kochi on October 27, 2015.
- “Speech-Language Pathology” for Doctors, Dept. of Neurology, AIMS, Kochi, on 20/10/2015 and November 3, 2015.
- Completed doctoral thesis (2010-16) titled “Emergence of expressive grammatical morphology in Malayalam-speaking children with and without language impairment” under the guidance of Dr.Shyamala K Chengappa, Professor in Language Pathology, All India Institute of Speech & Hearing, Mysore.
- Was chair/co-chair/reviewer of some papers for scientific session of the 8th Annual Conference of Indian Speech, Language & Hearing Association- Kerala State Branch held on September 12 - 13, 2015, at Wayanad, Kerala.
- Maria, G.T., & Dayana, D., Project proposal on “Developing eye-tracker device as communication aid for persons with disabilities” was presented at workshop on 'Ability in Disability' organized by IEEE, Bangalore at SRC Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore on July 25, 2015.
- Organized and conducted the scientific sessions of the National Conference & CME on Cognitive & Communicative disorders; Epilepsy & Stroke, held on 15th & 16th of June at ICCONS, Shoranur, as the Scientific Committee in-charge.
- Shyamala, K.C., Maria, G.T., & Priyadarshi, B. (2007). Worked as research officer for the ARF project on ‘A study of Markedness in Lexical Semantics in normal children and clinical population- Hearing Impairment and Intellectual Disability’ at AIISH, Mysore.
Conference / Seminars participated
- Workshop & Symposium on ‘Speech Disorders in Individuals with Cleft-lip and Palate -Assessment, Therapy and Surgical Management’ at SRMC & RI (DU), Chennai October 25 - 27, 2002.
- Seminar on “Stuttering” organized by the Dept. of Speech Pathology & Audiology, National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences, Bangalore, on August 16, 2003.
- 36th National Conference of ISHA held at Mysore January 16 - 18, 2004.
- 37th ISHA Conference held at Indore January 14 - 16, 2005.
- National Workshop-cum-Training for Young Scientists on Speech Synthesis held at AIISH, Mysore on January 12 - 13, 2006.
- National Seminar on Vocal Function -Assessment and Management, held at AIISH, Mysore on January 17, 2006.
- Workshop on “Signed English” held at AIISH, Mysore on July 18 - 19, 2006.
- National Seminar on Fluency -Assessment and Management, held at AIISH, Mysore on December 28, 2006.
- International Symposium “Frontiers of Research on Speech & Music” held at AIISH, Mysore on January 8 - 9, 2007.
- Guest lecture by Prof. Brooke Hallowell on “Service delivery issues with respect to stroke rehabilitation” conducted at AIISH, Mysore on January 23, 2007.
- 46th Indian Speech & Hearing Association (ISHA) National Conference held at Gokulam Park, Ernakulam on February 7 - 9, 2014.
- 47th Indian Speech & Hearing Association (ISHA) National Conference held at Manipal on January 1 - 3, 2015.
- 8th Kerala State Branch- ISHA Conference, September 12 -13, 2015.
- Amrita Head and Neck allied Specialities Meet-2016, AIMS, February 5 - 6, 2016.
- Community based hearing healthcare training by Starkey Hearing Foundation, AIMS, February 21 - 27, 2016.