Dr. Y. Sravan Kumar completed his BDS in 2010 from CKS Teja Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh and MDS Public Health Dentistry in 2015 from Manipal Dental College, Manipal, Karnataka. Then, he joined and currently working in Amrita School of Dentistry, AIMS, Kochi as Assistant Professor in Public Health Dentistry.
His specific areas of interest are Research Methodology, Biostatistics, Survey Methods, Nutrition and Health Education, Preventive Dentistry, School Health Programs, Public Health Activities and Programs. He has been actively involved in academic and clinical education of dental undergraduates and post graduates. He is also involved and has contributed in planning, implementing and evaluation of various projects and programs in relation to dental school. He is also a reviewer for journals and has co-authored 16 publications in various journals and has contributed to chapters in books.
Education and Professional Experience
- 2013-2015 – MDS, Manipal Dental College, Manipal, Karnataka.
- 2009-2010 – Internship at CKS Teja Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
- 2005 – 2009 – BDS, CKS Teja Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
Publication Type: Journal Article
Year of Publication
Dr. Sravan Kumar, Acharya, Sb, Urala, A. Sc, and Pentapati, K. Cd, “Effect of Aloe vera, chlorine dioxide, and chlorhexidine mouth rinses on plaque and gingivitis: A randomized controlled trial”, Journal of Oral Biology and Craniofacial Research, vol. 6, pp. 55-59, 2016.[Abstract]
Objective: To evaluate the effect of Aloe vera, chlorine dioxide, and chlorhexidine mouth rinses on plaque and gingivitis in orthodontic treatment. Materials and methods: A randomized single-center, single-blind, parallel group, controlled trial was conducted among 90 subjects undergoing fixed orthodontic treatment. The subjects were randomly divided into one of the three study groups (Aloe vera, chlorhexidine, chlorine dioxide). Plaque and gingivitis were assessed using modified Silness and Loe Plaque Index and Gingival Index at baseline and at follow-up after 15 days. Paired t-test and ANOVA with post hoc Dunnett test were used. A p-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: A total of 85 participants completed the study; among them, 40 were male and 45 were female. There was significant reduction in mean plaque and gingival scores in all the 3 groups at follow-up when compared to baseline. A significantly higher reduction (plaque and gingival scores) was found in chlorhexidine when compared with the Aloe vera group. However, no significant difference was seen between chlorhexidine and chlorine dioxide with respect to mean reduction in plaque and gingival scores. Conclusion: Chlorine dioxide can be a suitable and economical alternative for chlorhexidine. Further long-term studies are recommended for evaluating their effectiveness. © 2015 Craniofacial Research Foundation.
- JISPCD – Journal Of International Society Of Preventive And Community Dentistry.
- Dental Public Health
- Preventive Dentistry
- Research Methodology
- Clinical Trials
- Research Ethics
- School Health Programs
- Public health activities and programs
- Nutrition and Health Education
- Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, India.
- Fellow of Academy of General Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
- Amritasmitham – Annual Tribal Outreach Program
- Chapter 4 and 11 - Natural Oral Care in Dental Therapy - Wiley publishers – 2020. E-Book 978-1-119-61893-5 and Hardcover 978-1-119-61422-7.
- Tobacco and Oral health - a review - Lambert Academic Publication - 978-3-659-93046-1.
- Resource person – National Health Mission School Nurses Training Program.
Workshops, CDE’s and Conferences Attended
- 2006 – Indian Dental Association, Tirupathi.
- 2006 – A.P.State Indian Dental Association conference, Tirupathi.
- 2010 – Use of Lasers in Endodontics and Periodontics - CKS Teja Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Tirupati.
- 2009 – Hand’s on training course using Protaper system in Endodontics - CKS Teja Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Tirupati
- 2012 – Samshodhana - Bapuji Dental College, Davangere.
- 2012 – Future dental professionals - Indian Dental Association, Manipal.
- 2012 – Periodontal Medicine – Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal.
- 2012 - XVII National Conference of IAPHD, Chettinad Dental College, Chennai.
- 2012 - International Conference on Environment and Occupational Health, Manipal.
- 2013 – 7th National PG Convention of IAPHD, Guntur.
- 2013 - Epidemiology, Scientific Publication and Biostatistics – Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
- 2013 – Towards success in Research - Need for best practices - Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal.
- 2013 - XVIII National Conference of IAPHD, Lucknow.
- 2014 - IADR, A.J Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore.
- 2014 - 25 years of ART success, Government Dental College, Bangalore.
- 2014 - Management of persons with tobacco use disorders - Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
- 2014 – Pathfinder - VS Dental College, Bangalore
- 2014 - Systematic review and meta analysis - Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal.
- 2014 - FDI Annual Dental Congress, New Delhi.
- 2014 - 2nd Interstate and 42nd Karnataka state Dental conference, Mangalore.
- 2014 – Oral Health Policy – Phase 1, Karnataka – Yenepoya University, Mangalore.
- 2015 - XX National Conference of IAPHD, Manipal.
- 2016 - Advanced concepts in Prosthodontics & Dental Ethics and Jurisprudence – KHSDSA and Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi.
- 2017 - Dento Facial Aesthetics - FDIWDF & IDA, Kochi.
- 2018 - Qualitative research methods and data analysis - Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi.
- 2018 - Social Epidemiology - Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2018 - Dissemination Of National Ethical Guidelines For Research Involving Children And Dissemination Of ICMR-DBT National Guidelines For Stem Cell Research - CDSA & NIDCR, Kochi.
- 2018 - 2nd Inter Amrita Research Synergy Day, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2018 - Amrita International Public Health Conference, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2019 - Dental Surgeons role in palliative care - IAPHD, Kerala chapter, Kochi.
- 2019 - Clinical Innovations in Occlusal Rehabilitation, Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi.
- 2019 – 3rd Inter Amrita Research Synergy Day, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2019 - Amrita International Public Health Conference, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2019 - IAPHD, Kerala Chapter, state conference.
- 2020 – Demystifying TMDS - Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi.
Additional Professional Activities
- 2015 - Global Tobacco Control: Learning from the experts (Online certificate course) - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA.
- 2016 - Good Clinical Practices (Online certificate course) - National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network, National Institute of Health.
- 2017 - Health Research Fundamentals - National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL), ICMR.
- 2017 - Advanced Dental Leadership - Global Child Dental Fund, World Federation of Public Health Associations.
- 2017 - Certificate Programme in Food and Nutrition (CFN) - Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi.
- 2018 - Enhancing Soft Skills - National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL), ICMR.
- 2018 - Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research (Online certificate course) – NIH.
- 2018 - Certificate course in Essentials of Palliative Care - Indian Association of Palliative Care.
- 2019 - Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education - Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi.
- 2019 - Evidence Based Public Health Training Series - University of Washington.
- 2020 – Becoming a Change maker: Introduction to Social Innovation - University Of Cape Town (Coursera).
- 2020 – Social Psychology – Wesleyan University (Coursera).
- 2020 – Mindshift – McMaster University (Coursera).
- 2020 – De-Mystifying Mindfullness – Leiden University (Coursera).
- Member of following committees:
- Student Mentoring Program (2018-present).
- Magazine committee (2018-present).
- Graduation committee (2017-2018).
- UG Research committee (2019-present).
Chairperson for the following Conferences
- Amrita International Public Health Conference – 2019, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- 2nd Prize – 2nd Inter Amrita Research Synergy Day - 2018, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- Best paper award - Amrita International Public Health Conference - 2019, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi.
- Guided UG student for the ICMR-STS-2019.