Amrita Darshanam- International Centre for Spiritual Studies (ICSS), in association with Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), will host a national seminar on Kerala School of Astronomy and Mathematics: Contributions and Contemporary Relevance from November 4-5, 2016 at Amritapuri Campus.
ABOUT THE SEMINAR
The National Seminar on the Kerala School of Astronomy and Mathematics: Contributions and Contemporary Relevance will generate awareness of the significant contributions made by the Kerala School in astronomy and mathematics while also providing a platform to ponder the contemporary relevance of those contributions. Beginning with the works of Mādhava of Saṅgamagrāma, who is the well-known founder of the school, his successors like Parameśvara, Nīlakaṇṭha Somayājī, Jyeṣṭhadeva, Acyuta Piśāraṭi, Putumana Somayājī, Śaṅkara Varman etc., will be presented and discussed in light of their significance in our present times. Together we will marvel at the mathematical proofs and rationales of formulae offered by those of the Kerala School. Their methodological sophistication will surely enliven in us a resolve to keep this tradition alive.
The seminar will highlight those contributions which require special attention to revive and strengthen the tradition of astronomy and mathematics in India.
Following are the distinguished speakers of the seminar,
- Prof [Dr.] K. Ramasubramanian, IIT Bombay, Mumbai
- Prof [Dr.] M. D. Sreenivas, CPS, Chennai
- Prof [Dr.] Madhavan
- Prof [Dr.] M. S. Sriram, Madras University, Chennai
- Prof [Dr.] V. P. N. Nampoori, Inter university Centre for Studies on Kerala Legacy of Astronomy and Mathematics, CUSAT
- Dr. N. K. Sundareswaran, Calicut University
- Prof [Dr.] T. G. Sarachandran, Deputy Director[Retd.], Collegiate Education, Kottayam
- Dr. Venkateswara Pai, IISER Pune
- Prof [Dr.] S. Gopalakrishnan Unnithan, Principal [Retd.], Sree Ayyappa College Chengannur
- Prof [Dr.] Madhukar Mallaya, Mohandas College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram
- Dr. Vanishri Bhat, Bengaluru
- Dr. Upadyayula K. V. Sarma, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
NOTE: This article is updated with the latest information on 31st October.