Amrita Students Win Prizes at 31st South Zone Inter- University Youth Festival
Students of Amrita University won various prizes at the 31st South Zone Inter- University Youth Festival, Waves 2015 in association with the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, New Delhi held from January 18 to 22, 2016 at Mangalore University. 34 students from Amrita University participated and secured 13 prizes.
Amrita University has been participating in the competition for the past few years and this was the first time Amrita made such a great achievement. According to one of the AIU officials, who is also a jury member said that Amrita showcased a tremendous progress in all categories this year and became one of the promising universities in south zone. Amrita were one of the very few universities which did not have dedicated schools or departments in Dance, Theatre, Music and Fine Arts, yet won many prizes.
To compete with top students from various universities itself was a matter of great fulfilment. Among five categories which included Music, Theatre, Dance, Fine Arts and Literary, Amrita University bagged event wise championship in literary events and Theatre events. 15 students (5 items) were qualified for the National Youth Festival which is to be held at University of Mysore from February 15 to 19.
The success, truly deserved and earned by our students, was an outcome of their extensive hard work and constant support from authorities, teachers and renowned trainers. All made our students stand out from the crowd. The announcement of prizes lit fire to the enthusiasm of all participants. With great excitement, the winners received the prizes one by one. This remarkable achievement has spread the fame and reputation of our university far and wide.
The South Zone comprises 99 universities from the states of Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Pondicherry. The competitions were judged by the AIU recognised judges.
List of Winners
- Mime - First Prize (6 members from Amritapuri Campus)
- One act play - First Prize (6 members from Bengaluru Campus)
- Debate - First Prize (2 members from Amritapuri and Coimbatore Campus)
- Elocution - Second Prize (1 member from Coimbatore Campus)
- Spot Photography - Second Prize (1 member from Coimbatore Campus)
- Group Music Indian - Third Prize (7 members from Amritapuri Campus)
- Folk Orchestra - Third Prize (9 members from Amritapuri Campus)
- Percussion - Third Prize (1 member from Amritapuri Campus)
- Non Percussion - Third Prize (1 member from Amritapuri Campus)
- Classical Vocal Solo - Third Prize (1 member from Amritapuri Campus)
- Classical Dance Solo - Third Prize (1 member from Amritapuri Campus)
- Quiz - Third Prize (2 members from Amritapuri and Coimbatore Campus)
- Collage - Third Prize (1 member from Amritapuri Campus)