M. Tech. in Remote Sensing & Wireless Sensor Network
Earth observation from space has provided mankind and its decision makers with new global perspective of its environment. Protection of the environment will certainly be one of the greatest challenges in the 21st century. Remote sensing data gathered from air borne and space borne sensor systems are one of the starting points for preparing tools for gaining a better understanding of its complex interactions between the atmosphere, oceans, ice regions and land surfaces on one hand and the population with its various activities on the other hand. Recent developments in sensor technology coupled with wireless network technology have given a new dimension to the word ‘remote sensing’. Remote sensing by deployment of thousands of sensors in fields to gather data for remote monitoring, control or other decision making process can now be put under the purview of remote sensing. There are immense possibilities for integrating data obtained from satellite based sensing and ground based measurements using cheap sensors deployed in the field.
This course aims at developing manpower in this highly interdisciplinary area. The forecast for such manpower requirements is large and fall short of the current requirements. Remote sensing and wireless sensor networks as a scientific discipline, depends on field measurements, computer vision, adhoc wireless networks, analysis and cognition systems. It has great strategic importance from the point of view of defense, natural calamities, space exploration and non-destructive testing. It is also applied in agriculture, marine and geological explorations, weaponry, transportation and health monitoring of machines, structures and livestock.
The basic course starts with a strong foundation in mathematics. It is strengthened by courses in remote sensing, image processing, pattern recognition and specific courses on sensor technology, wireless networking and geographical information systems.
Electives offered, to additionally gain insight into optics are microwave engineering and topics like animal vision systems. They also include some powerful mathematical tools like level set, computational electromagnetic and measurement techniques.
Duration of the Course: Two years
- ThoughtWorks Technologies
- KLA Tencor
- Ignitarium Technology Solutions
- Atlas Health Care Software
- IBM India Ltd.
- Cognizant Technologies
- BRIDGEi2i Analytics Solutions
- HCL Technologies
- ZOHO Corp.
- UST Global
- PACE Micro Technology
- L&T Infotech Ltd.
- Mahindra Satyam
- IP Infusion Software
- Cordys Software
- MPHASIS Ltd.
- IP Infusion Software
- Tavant Technologies (I) Pvt. Ltd.
Eligibility Criteria : B.E./B.Tech degree with Minimum 60% marks or equivalent grade in any branch of Engineering or equivalent or M.Sc.Maths / Physics / Computer Science (60% minimum).
- Computational Linear Algebra and its Applications
- Image Processing Methods for Remote Sensing
- Computational Optimization Theory - Linear & Non- linear Methods
- Advanced Data Structures and Algorithms
- Principles of Remote Sensing
- Wavelet Theory and Pattern Classification
- Probability and Graphical Methods
- Measurement Techniques in Remote Sensing
- Geographical Information Systems and Global Positioning Systems: Principles and Applications
- Minor Project
- Satelite Remote Sensing Astrodynamics
- Adaptive Digital Signal Processing using FPGA
- Hyper Spectral Imaging Systems
- Biochemical Sensors and Applications
- Signal Processing and Optimization for Transceiver Systems
- Compressed Sensing in Communication and Radar Systems
- Control and Design of Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles