Colloidal chitin nanogels: A plethora of applications under one shell.
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:Carbohydr Polym, Volume 136, p.609-17 (2016)
Keywords:Animals, chitin, Drug Delivery Systems, Gels, Humans, molecular imaging, Nanoparticles
<p>Chitin nanogels (CNGs) are a relatively new class of natural polymeric nanomaterials which have a large potential in the field of drug delivery and nanotherapeutics. These nanogels being very biocompatible are non-toxic when internalized by cells. In this review various properties, preparation techniques and applications of CNGs have been described. CNGs because of their nano-size possess certain unique properties which enable them to be used in a number of biomedical applications. CNGs are prepared by simple regeneration technique without using any cross-linkers. Various polymers, drugs and fluorescent dyes can be blended or incorporated or labelled with the chitin hydrogel network. Drugs and molecules encapsulated within CNGs can be used for targeted delivery, in vivo monitoring or even for therapeutic purposes. Here various applications of CNGs in the field of drug delivery, imaging, sensing and therapeutics have been discussed.</p>
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- Synthesis, characterization and in vitro cytocompatibility studies of chitin nanogels for biomedical applications
- Acitretin and aloe-emodin loaded chitin nanogel for the treatment of psoriasis
- Acitretin and aloe-emodin loaded chitin nanogel for the treatment of psoriasis.
- Multifunctional chitin nanogels for simultaneous drug delivery, bioimaging, and biosensing.
- Fluconazole loaded chitin nanogels as a topical ocular drug delivery agent for corneal fungal infections