Design and development of an integrated device consisting of an independent solar cell with electrical storage capacity
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, Volume 21, Number 5, p.1153-1157 (2013)
Keywords:Capacitive behavior, Capacitors, Combination devices, Design and Development, Dye-Sensitized solar cell, Electro-chemical anodization, Energy storage, High surface area, Integrated device, Nanotubes, Oxide films, Photoelectrochemical cells, Photovoltaic layers, Solar cells, Thin films
A thin film-integrated device was constructed consisting of photovoltaic layers combined with additional layers to store charge in real time within the same device. In our design, a dye-sensitized solar cell and capacitor layers are integrated by a double-anodized titanium plate, which consists of TiO 2 nanotubes grown on either side by electrochemical anodization. The combination device can act either as an independent solar cell, a capacitor, or as a solar cell/capacitor device. The results presented here illustrate the capacitive behavior of high surface area nanotubular metal oxide films, with an achieved capacitance of 140 μF cm-2. Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. This study shows the development of an integrated system, which can simultaneously generate and store electricity from a dye-sensitized solar cell. A capacitor is integrated along with the solar cell; this directly charges upon illumination and discharges whenever required. The present study shows a simple and inexpensive method of developing an integrated system, which could replace an independent solar cell and battery system for generation and storage. Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
cited By 2
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- A review on counter electrode materials in dye-sensitized solar cells
- A review on materials for light scattering in dye-sensitized solar cells
- Which is a superior material for scattering layer in dye-sensitized solar cells- Electrospun rice grain- or nanofiber-shaped TiO2?
- Vertically aligned ZnO nanowire arrays in Rose Bengal-based dye-sensitized solar cells
- High surface area TiO2 nanoparticles by a freeze-drying approach for dye-sensitized solar cells