Development and validation of spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of citicoline and piracetam in tablet dosage form
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences, Volume 5, Number 3, p.202-207 (2013)
Keywords:accuracy, article, calibration, citicoline, citicoline plus piracetam, drug determination, drug structure, piracetam, priority journal, reproducibility, strocit, tablet formulation, ultraviolet spectrophotometry, unclassified drug
Context: Citicoline (CN) and piracetam (PM) combination in tablet formulation is newly introduced in market. It is necessary to develop suitable quality control methods for rapid and accurate determination of these drugs. Aim: The study aimed to develop the methods for simultaneous determination of CN and PM in combined dosage form. Materials and Methods: The first method was developed by formation and solving simultaneous equations using 280.3 and 264.1 nm as two analytical wavelengths. Second method was absorbance ratio in which wavelengths selected were 256.6 nm as its absorptive point and 280.3 nm as λmax of CN. According to International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) norm, the parameters - linearity, precision, and accuracy were studied. The methods were validated statistically and by recovery studies. Results: Both the drugs obeyed Beer-Lambert′s law at the selected wavelengths in concentration range of 5-13 μg/ml for CN and 10-22 μg/ml for PM. The percentage of CN and PM in marketed tablet formulation was found to be 99.006 ± 0.173 and 99.257 ± 0.613, respectively; by simultaneous equation method. For Q-Absorption ratio method the percentage of CN and PM was found to be 99.078 ± 0.158 and 99.708 ± 0.838, respectively. Conclusions: The proposed methods were simple, reproducible, precise and robust. The methods can be successfully applied for routine analysis of tablets.
cited By (since 1996)0
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the estimation of asenapine maleate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation
- Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for chrysophanol in gel formulations
- Development and validation of RP- HPLC method for determination of ticagrelor in pharmaceutical dosage formulation
- A validated stability indicating HPLC method for the determination of Valsartan in tablet dosage forms.
- A validated U.V. spectrophotometric determination of an antihypertensive drug- Nebivolol from tablet formulations