Formalin is an aqueous solution of formaldehyde (37%), which is a pungent and highly reactive gas. Ingestion of formalin is infrequent due to its strong odour and irritant effects. Here, we report a case of accidental ingestion of formalin in a five-year-old child. This child was referred to our hospital with a history of accidental ingestion of 30 mL of formalin at home. Following the intake she developed vomiting and mild abdominal pain. Arterial blood gases at admission were as follows: pH: 7.39, pCO2: 30.4 mm Hg, pO2: 102 mm Hg, bicarbonate: 19.8 mmol/L, lactate: 1.2 mmol/L. Routine haematological, liver and kidney investigations revealed no significant abnormality. Oesophago-gastro duodenoscopy indicated corrosive injury to stomach and oesophagus. Supportive care treatment was provided with broad spectrum antibiotics, intravenous fluids, antiemetics, proton pump inhibitors and gastrointestinal mucosal protectant like sucralfate. She showed improvement with the treatment and was later started on a clear liquid diet which gradually advanced to soft diet. Thus, the gastrointestinal system appears to be primarily affected due to formalin intoxication. In the absence of a specific antidote, such poisoning cases need to be treated symptomatically. Prompt supportive treatment can avoid fatal consequences.
S. Stephen, Nair, S., and Dr. Umadevi P., “Formalin induced Corrosive Mucosal Injury: A Rare Case Report”, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 259-260, 2020.