The Malegam Committee Microfinance Report:-Will the MFIs Accept it?
Publication Type:Book Chapter
Source:Resource book on Case studies in Business Management: a global perspective, Anne Book Pvt. Ltd, ISBN, Volume 1151659959 (2013)
Keywords:Business Context, Micofinance
RBI released the Malegam Committee Microfinance Report on 19.01.2011 which has given recommendations regarding creation of NBFC-MFIs; recommendations to mitigate problems of multiple-lending, over borrowing, ghost borrowers and coercive methods of recovery. However, successful implementation of these recommendations by the MFIs will depend on how the recommendations are being perceived by the MFIs and their willingness to incorporate them fully or partially in their future strategies. The present case study developed from primary and secondary data aims to highlight the reactions of four different MFIs to the Malegam Committee recommendations. The authors try to focus on the importance of the Personality profile of the MFI-decision maker, Organizational Personality, unique business context and the present financial and social performance of the respective MFIs in influencing its perception and interpretation of the Malegam Committee recommendations and hence determining its survival strategies thereof. The findings are interpreted based on theories of environmental scanning.
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- Adaptability is the Key to Learning; a Case of Indian Mfis
- A case study on the ethical issues in MFIs
- Explaining the Penetration of MFIs among Indian States: An Understanding Through Macro Variables
- Human capital and organisational learning: A study of Indian microfinance institutions
- A New Perspective on Performance in Indian Microfinance Institutions: An Empirical Study