Pharmacognostical and Physico-Chemical Evaluation of Siddhartaka Choorna - A Poly Herbal Compound in the Management of Psoriasis
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:International Journal Of Universal Pharmacy and Bio Sciences , Volume 3, Issue 4, p.67-75 (2014)
Quality control and the standardization of herbal medicines involve several steps like standard source and quality of raw materials, good manufacturing practices and adequate analytical screening. These practices play a vital role in guaranteeing the quality and stability of herbal preparations. Siddhartaka yoga is a rarely used and prescribed Ayurvedic polyherbal formulation mentioned to be beneficial in all types of kushtha (skin disorders). Siddhartaka yoga consists of Trivrit (Operculina turpenthum), Danti (Baliospermum montanum), Aragwadha (Cassia fistula) and ten other drugs. It was used as a trial drug for the clinical study in the management of dreadful autoimmune disease, Psoriasis. However, till date no published data is available on its analytical profile. Aim: To develop the pharmacognostical and phytochemical profile of Siddhartaka choorna.
Material and Methods: Siddhartaka choorna was prepared as per classical methods and analytical findings were systematically recorded. The samples were subjected to organoleptic analysis, physicochemical analysis and High performance Thin Layer Chromatography (HPTLC) examination by optimizing the solvent systems. Results and Conclusions: Pharmacognostical profile of Siddhartaka choorna was established. Loss on drying, Specific gravity, Viscosity and Refractive index, Iodine value, Acid value and Saponification value of all prepared batches of Siddhartaka choorna were found within prescribed limits. HPTLC fingerprinting profile of Siddhartaka choorna revealed 4 spots at 254 nm and 6 spots at 366 nm. Two spots were merging in both the long and short UV, showing common characters in both the wavelengths.
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- An analytical study on panchavalkala choorna-a poly herbal compound in the management of psoriasis
- Pharmaceutico – Analytical study of Malla Yoga W.S.R. to its Toxicity study in Rats
- Preliminary analytical study of Rasnasapthakam kashayam- An Ayurvedic polyherbal formulation
- Comparative evaluation of specific phytochemical indicatives in cirivilvädi Kaṣāya prepared freshly and at commercial scale
- Development of a phytochemical scaffold for bone tissue engineering using Cissus quadrangularis extract