Preparation of chitin nanogels containing nickel nanoparticles
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:Carbohydrate Polymers, Volume 97, Number 2, p.469-474 (2013)
Keywords:Anti-bacterial activity, Bacteria, Biomedical applications, chitin, Cytocompatibility, Medical applications, Nanogels, Nanoparticles, Nanostructured materials, Nickel, Nickel nanoparticles
In this work, we developed 120-150 nm sized nickel nanoparticles loaded chitin nanogels (Ni-Chitin NGs) by regeneration chemistry approach to investigate and determine its cytocompatibility and antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus. The nickel nanoparticles were prepared by hydrothermal method. The prepared Ni-Chitin NGs were well characterized by SEM, FTIR, TG/DTA/DTG and XRD and the in vitro cytocompatibility was tested on A549 and L929 cells which showed that they are completely non-toxic. Ni-Chitin NGs showed better toxicity to the bacterial strains when compared to previous study with other nanoparticles using serial dilution method. The rhodamine labeled-Ni-Chitin NGs showed cellular localization on both L929 and A549 cells without perturbing their cellular constituents. These studies showed that the Ni-Chitin NGs could be used for various applications in biomedical filed. © 2013 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
cited By (since 1996)0
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- Doxorubicin-loaded pH-responsive chitin nanogels for drug delivery to cancer cells
- Gold-chitin-manganese dioxide ternary composite nanogels for radio frequency assisted cancer therapy
- Multifunctional chitin nanogels for simultaneous drug delivery, bioimaging, and biosensing.
- Novel carboxymethyl chitin nanoparticles for cancer drug delivery applications
- Multifaceted chitin/poly (lactic-co-glycolic) acid composite nanogels