Rice grain-shaped TiO 2-CNT composite - A functional material with a novel morphology for dye-sensitized solar cells
Publication Type:Journal Article
Source:Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, Volume 231, Number 1, p.9-18 (2012)
Titanium dioxide-multiwalled carbon nanotube (denoted as TiO 2-CNT) nanocomposites with a novel rice-grains nanostructure are synthesized by electrospinning and subsequent high temperature sintering. The rice grain-shaped TiO 2 is single crystalline with a large surface area and the single crystallinity is retained in the TiO 2-CNT composite as well. At very low CNT loadings (0.1-0.3 wt% of TiO 2), the rice grain shape remains unchanged while at high CNT concentrations (8 wt%), the morphology distorts with CNTs sticking out of the rice-grain shape. The optimum concentration of CNTs in the TiO 2 matrix for best performance in dye-sensitized solar cells (DSCs) is found to be 0.2 wt%, which shows a 32% enhancement in the energy conversion efficiency. The electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) and the incident photon-to-electron conversion efficiency (IPCE) measurements show that the charge transfer and collection are improved by the incorporation of CNTs into the rice grain-shaped TiO 2 network. We believe that this facile one-pot method for the synthesis of the rice-grain shaped TiO 2-CNT composites with high surface area and single crystallinity offers an attractive means for the mass-scale fabrication of the nanostructures for DSCs since electrospinning is a simple, cost-effective and scalable means for the commercial scale fabrication of one-dimensional nanostructures. © 2012 Elsevier B.V.
cited By 24
Cite this Research Publication
Related Research Publications
- Nitrogen-doped rice grain-shaped titanium dioxide nanostructures by electrospinning: Frequency and temperature dependent conductivity
- Long term cycling studies of electrospun TiO 2 nanostructures and their composites with MWCNTs for rechargeable Li-ion batteries
- Rice grain-shaped TiO2 mesostructures by electrospinning for dye-sensitized solar cells
- Rice grain-shaped TiO2 mesostructures- Synthesis, characterization and applications in dye-sensitized solar cells and photocatalysis
- Which is a superior material for scattering layer in dye-sensitized solar cells- Electrospun rice grain- or nanofiber-shaped TiO2?