Publication Type:

Journal Article


International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 4, Number SUPPL.3, p.328-330 (2012)



antidiabetic agent, article, clinical article, comorbidity, drug choice, drug efficacy, female, generic drug, glibenclamide, glipizide, human, insulin, insulin treatment, isophane insulin, male, metformin, neutral insulin, non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, observational study, patient information, prescription, prospective study, risk


This project work was an observational prospective study carried out in a tertiary care hospital for studying the prescription pattern and insulin treatment in diabetic patients. The study also includes the analysis of patient information and comorbid conditions. The objectives were to determine the patient information, prescription pattern and treatment of Type 2 DM using insulin. First select 50 patients those who are willing to participate in the study according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The patient information such as MRD no., age, sex, duration of hospital stay, comorbid conditions, patient medication profile and details of insulin treatment are collected according to the disease condition. The data was tabulated and done the statistical procedure. In a total of 50 patients, 36 (72%) patients are male and the remaining 14(28%) are females. From prescription pattern analysis it is found that 62.2% of the total medications are prescribed in brand name and 37.8% was prescribed in generic name. From the medication profile of the patients it was found that 43 patients (86%) are treated with insulin. It is observed from the study that insulin is commonly used in all the type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Human mixtard and human atrapid are the two common classes of insulin which is used for the treatment. This article may helpful for finding out the importance of insulin in type 2 DM. This article also shows the relation between diabetes and other comorbid condition and how the risk increases along with the number of medication.


cited By (since 1996)3

Cite this Research Publication

K. V. Harikrishnan, Rajasree, R., Thomas, N., and Remya Reghu, “Study of prescription pattern and insulin treatment in type 2 diabetic patients”, International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 4, pp. 328-330, 2012.