COURSE NAME: Bioinformatics
COURSE CODE: BIF514
PROGRAM: M.Sc. Biotechnology
INSTRUCTOR: Asha Vijayan
- Introduction to Bioinformatics: Definition - Importance and uses of Bioinformatics- Information Technology- Systems Biology.
- Bioinformatics Software: Clustal V - Clustal W 1.7- RasMol – Oligo – Molscript – Treeview – Alscript - Genetic Analysis Software- Phylip. Biocomputing: Introduction to String Matching Algorithms
- Database Search Techniques- Sequence Comparison and Alignment Techniques- Use of Biochemical Scoring Matrices- BLAST and FASTA- Pairwise and Multiple sequence alignment. Profiles, motifs and features identification – Phylogenetics analysis
- Introduction to Graph Matching Algorithms - Automated Genome Comparison and its Implication- Automated Gene Prediction- Automated Identification of Bacterial Operons and Pathways
- Introduction to Signaling Pathways and Pathway Regulation. Gene Arrays - Analysis of Gene Arrays - Machine Learning Methods in Bioinformatics- Hidden Markov models- Applications of HMM in gene identification and Profiles HMMs- Neural Networks and Support Vector machines.
- Matlab- Introduction to MATLAB commands,Introduction to arrays- indexing. R package- Statistical Analysis.Use R to analyze biological data.Introduction to internet and its application.