Computational Biology Second Semester Syllabus for MSc Bioinformatics
COURSE NAME: Computational Biology
COURSE CODE: BIF412
PROGRAM: MSc Bioinformatics
Compositions of functions, Modeling basic life science scenarios (Implement basic functions, expressing basic operations as functions of time like cost functions, study variations etc.) in calculus like simple cases of drug concentration, energy consumption, Fick's law, Flow of blood, growth of bacteria, estimates of inoculation, poiseuille's law, population growth, recall rate of memory, respiration, spread of an epidemic, air and water pollution. Concepts of differentiation, anti-differentiation, differential equations, functions of several variables as needed to study population dynamics, biophysical models etc.. Visualization: Graph Types in Biology -bar graphs, line graph, area graph, scatter plot, pie and 3-dimensional graphs and generation using simple programs like Excel, Octave or Matlab. Advanced use of computers like scientific libraries, scripting etc. Scope of cellular dynamics, Computational modeling in biology-Cartoons, Mechanisms, and Models, role of mathematics and role of computation, simple molecular switch. CUDA and computational biology – getting started with CUDA, memory, multiple GPUs.
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Erwin Kreyszig, John Wiley and Sons, 2001.
- Computational Cell Biology, Christopher Fall, Springer, 2000.
- Mathematical models in biophysics, Riznichenko Galina Yur'evna, Book Online, Biophysical society.
- NVIDIA CUDA C Programming Guide available at Weblink
- Calculus: for the social, managerial and life sciences – Laurence D. Hoffmann, McGraw Hill, 1980