Pharmacology Sixth Semester Syllabus for BSc Biotechnology and BSc Microbiology
Basic concepts in Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
The pharmacological basis of therapeutics is the focus of the course. Emphasis is placed on the factors governing drug action, dose-response relationships, the relationship between chemical structure and pharmacological action, the problems associated with absorption, distribution metabolism and elimination, and the mechanism of action of the common classes of drugs. Attention is also given to contra-indications, side effects and toxic effects of these compounds.
Topics covered include
- Fundamental Principles of Pharmacology
- Fundamentals of Cardiovascular, Endocrine, and Immunopharmacology
- Principles of Chemotherapy
- Principles of Toxicology
- Contemporary Approaches to Drug Discovery, Development and Delivery
- Fundamentals of Drug Evaluation and Pharmacogenomics
- FDA rules and regulations for the approval of new drugs
- Major companies in the pharmaceutical industry
- Economics of drug development
Each lecture is of 60 minutes duration,in which first 50 minutes will be a lecture session and remaining 10 minutes will be a question answer session.
There will be assignments, class tests and seminar presentations which will be evaluated.
C.COURSE OBJECTIVES & OUTCOMES:
To have a clear understanding of:
- Receptor Theory ,
- Drug Metabolism,
Areas to be covered include: receptor theory & kinetics, dose-response relationships, and mechanism of drug action; Phase I and phase II of drug metabolism, drug efficacy; pharmacokinetics concepts, Pharmacogenomics and Intellectual Property Rights with respect to Pharmaceuticals.
E. TEXT AND REQUIRED SUPPLIES:
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology by Daan J. A. Crommelin, et al
- “Principles of Pharmacology by D. Golan, A. Tashjian, E. Armstrong, J.Galanter, A.W.Armstrong, R. Arnaout and H.Rose. 2005, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics Book by J.Hardman, Lee Limbird and A.G. Gilman.
F . CLASS POLICIES, PROCEDURES, RULES OF CONDUCT
Missed Classes: Students should complete class notes of missed classes from the teachers part,missed classes will be compensated in extra-hours.
Syllabus Changes: Changes will be uploaded in aums
Readings: suggested text books, periodicals, internet sites & handouts uploaded in AUMS
All the University rules of conduct apply.
G. COURSE COMMUNICATION:
Course materials including assignment topics are uploaded into Amrita University Management System (AUMS) and can be accessed by students.
H. YOUR IDEAS, EVALUATIONS, ETC.
Any comments/criticisms regarding the classes are welcome.
I. STUDY TIPS
Work consistently and be optimistic