Physics-I First Semester Syllabus for BSc Biotechnology and BSc Microbiology
Mechanics: Motion along a straight line, motion in two and three dimension, projectile motion, circular motion, relative motion. Force, Friction, Work, energy, power. System of particles, collisions, Rotational motion, combined rotational and translational motions.
Waves and Oscillations: Oscillations: Oscillatory systems, Harmonic motion, Simple harmonic oscillator, applications of simple harmonic motion. Types of oscillations, Resonance. Waves: Types. Wave equation-power, intensity, principle of superposition- interference, standing waves - reflection, resonance. Sound-properties, interference, vibrating system and sources of sound, beats, Doppler effect, Effects at high speed ultrasonic’s.
Light: Electromagnetic spectrum, Properties of light, Reflection, Refraction, Optical fiber, Interference-Thin film interference, Newton’s rings, Air wedge, Michelson Interferometer, Holography, Diffraction- Single slit, double slit, multiple slit diffraction, grating. X-ray diffraction, Polarization-Types, production and detection of polarized light. Dichroism, polarizing sheets. Thick and thin lenses-Defects, Uses of lenses, Laser- principle, types, uses.
Imaging Techniques: Microscopy: Electron Microscope - Dual nature of electron and its interaction with electric and magnetic fields, electron lens formation, Electron Microscope-construction, type, applications. Atomic Force microscope, Scanning Tunneling Microscope, Scanning Near field optical Microscope – an introduction. X- ray Crystallography: X-rays, X-ray scattering, general design of X-ray spectrometer.
Spectrometry: Mass spectrometry - General design of Mass spectrometers, Types of mass spectrometers, Mass spectrum.
Physics – David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S Krane, Vol. 1, 5th (e), Willey Student Edition, 2002.
Physics – David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S Krane, Vol. 2, 5th (e), Willey Student Edition, 2002.
- College Physics – Raymond A Serway, Jerry S. Faughn, Chris Vuille, Charles A Bennett, Vol. 1, Thomson Brooks/Cole, 2006.
- College Physics – Raymond A Serway, Jerry S. Faughn, Chris Vuille, Charles A Bennett, Vol. 2, Thomson Brooks/Cole, 2006.
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Richard P Feynman, Robert B Leighton, Matthew Sands, Vol. 1, Narosa Publishing House, First Reprint, 1986.
- Fundamentals of Acoustics, Lawrence P Kinsler, Austin R Frey, Alan B Coppens, James V. Sanders, John Willey & Sons, Inc. 2000.
- Engineering Physics, P.V. Naik, Pearson Education, Ist Indian Print, 2004.
- Text book of Vibrations and waves – Enlarged & Revised Edition, S. P. Puri, 2nd (e), 2004.
- Fundamentals of Optics, Francis A. Jenkins, Harway E. White, 4th (e), McGraw-Hill International Edition – Physics series.
- Wave Optics and its Applications, Rajpal S. Sirohi, Orient Longman Ltd, Reprint, 2001.
- Lasers - Theory and Applications, K. Thyagarajan, A. K. Ghatak, MacMillan India Ltd.
- A textbook of Engineering Physics, Prof. Dr. Jacob Philip, Educational Publishers and Distributors, 2002.
- A Textbook of Engineering Physics, M. N. Avadhanulu, P. G. Kshirsagar, 8th Revised edition, S. Chand & Company Ltd, 2007.
- Essentials of Biophysics, P. Narayanan, New Age International Publishers, Reprint 2005.
- Methods in Modern Biophysics – Bengt Nolting, Springer International Edition, Ist Indian Reprint, 2004
- Mass Spectrometry for Biotechnology, Gary Siuzdak, Academic Press, First Indian Reprint, 2005
- Elementary Biophysics – An Introduction, P. K. Srivastava, Narosa Publishing House, Reprint 2006.