Physics-II Second Semester Syllabus for BSc Biotechnology and BSc Microbiology
Properties of solids: elasticity, stress-strain relation, Plastic behavior, isotropic materials, elastic energy.
Properties of liquids: Pressure in liquids, Pressure transmission: Pascal’s law and its applications, Buoyancy: Archimedes principle and its applications. Surface tension: Measurement of surface tension, molecular theory, surface energy, pressure inside a soap bubble and a liquid drop, capillarity, negative pressure and the cohesion of water. Fluid flow: streamlines, Bernoulli’s Equation- Applications, Viscosity, Turbulence and Chaotic flow.
Properties of gases: Ideal gas, molecular view of pressure, Real gases, ideal gas equation
Dielectrics: Properties of dielectrics, non-polar and polar dielectrics, Dielectric strength, Ferroelectrics, Piezoelectric, applications. Magnetic materials: Magnetism, magnetic materials, classification of magnetic materials, types of magnetic materials, soft magnetic materials, hard magnetic materials, applications.
Crystalline solids, crystal structure and systems, Imperfections, X-ray diffraction, semiconductors, doping, Diodes, Transistor, IC’s, Mems, introduction to Nanotechnology. Superconductors-properties, materials, SQUIDS, Cryogenics.
Spectroscopy: Types of spectroscopy-basic principles, instrumentation, applications.
Non destructive testing methods: X-ray methods, Radioactive methods, Thermometric methods, Electrical measurements, Magnetic measurements.
- Elements of Solid state Physics – J. P. Srivastava, PHI, 2004.
- Concepts of Modern Physics – Arthur Beiser, 6th (e), TMH.
- Solid State Physics – S. O. Pillai, New Age International Publishers, 6th (e) revised.
- Elementary solid state Physics – Principles & Applications – M. Ali Omar, Pearson Education, 6th Indian Reprint, 2005.
- Principles of Instrumental Analysis – Skoog, Holler, Nieman, 5th (e), Thomson Brooks/Cole.
- Engineering Physics, P.V. Naik, Pearson Education, Ist Indian Print, 2004.
- Elementary Biophysics – An Introduction, P. K. Srivastava, Narosa Publishing House, Reprint 2006.
- Essentials of Biophysics, P. Narayanan, New Age International Publishers, Reprint 2005.
- Introduction to Solid state Physics - Charles Kittel, 7th (e), Willey Student Edition.
- Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy, M. C. Gupta, New Age International Publishers, 2001.
- Modern Molecular Spectroscopy – H. S. Randhawa, MacMillan India Ltd, 2003.
- Physics – David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S Krane, Vol.1 & 2, 5th (e), Willey Student Edition, 2002.
- Solid State Physics - A. J. Dekker, MacMillan India Ltd, Reprint 2004.
- Methods in Modern Biophysics – Bengt Nolting, Springer International Edition, Ist Indian Reprint, 2004.
- College Physics, Serway/ Faughn
- Atkin’s Physical Chemistry, Peter Atkins, Jullo de Paula, 7th Edition.