Global Reach, Department of Electronics and Communication. Amritapuri Campus
Several faculty of the department have gained significant international experience and hence the students are exposed to state of the art research and product development. The students can utilize this opportunity to broaden their knowledge and also to gain an insight into the future scope and possible areas of research and for pursuing higher study abroad. For strengthening research in diverse Engineering areas, the department has extended partnerships and collaboration with foreign Universities. This has facilitated the offering of dual degrees and many of the students have sought study opportunities abroad with scholarships over the past years. Many of the students have got admission at prestigious Universities in United States and U K and have enrolled in doctorate and M S programs.
Students Pursuing Higher Studies Abroad
- Two final year BTech students Ananthakrishnan Rajendran and Meera Viswanath of 2013 batch, got admission into one of the prestigious Universities offering VLSI, Univ. of Cincinnati, Ohio with 87% tuition waiver scholarship.
- Sachin P Namboodiri, 2012 ECE gradute, got admitted into M.S. VLSI program at Villanova University, with Graduate Assistantship. Apart from tuition fee exemption, he also got Research Associate position at Villanova Biomedical Electronics (ViBE) Laboratory.
- Ramesh N Nair (2012 batch), Sanjay S (2012 batch), Venkatkrishnan Balasubramanian (2010 batch), Mithun Muralidharan (2010 batch), are some of the students who completed MS or currently doing MS in University of Cincinnati, Ohio with 87% tuition waiver scholarship.
- Mr. Sai Manoj of 2008 - 2012 batch is pursing PhD in Robotics in Nanyang Technological University (NTY), Singapore. Mr. Vineeth Mohan of the same batch is doing PhD in VLSI in the same University. Both of them are availing tuition waivers and fully - funded scholarship.
- Mr. Vineeth RadhaKrishnan of 2008-2012 batch was chosen for doing MS in Biomedical Engineering in Grand Valley State University, Michigan, United States.
- Mr. Rizwin of 2008-2012 batch is pursuing MS in Embedded systems in Malardalen University, Sweden. These students got the privilege of getting fully-funded scholarship and tuition waiver.
- Mr. Paul Leons is doing MS in VLSI from University of Concordia, Canada with fully-funded scholarship and tuition waiver. Also Mr. Denny C Jacob is doing MS in VLSI from same University.
Student Exchange Program upon Bilateral Agreement
Two B. Tech. students Ms. Panchami Krishnan (2013) and Mr. Akhil K. S. (2012 ) were selected for doing final semester of B. Tech. in KTH (Kungliga Tekniska högskolan), Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, as a part of Student Exchange Program. Students selected for this programme must satisfy the requirement of completing the B. Tech. final project there along with course work.
Amrita UT-Austin Project Co-operation
As part of the Indo-US collaborative effort to improve quality education, the Department participates in combined undergraduate projects with various leading universities in the United States of America. Selected students at the department get a chance to work with student teams at the partner universities in research and development projects.
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham infrastructure provides technological support to the students enabling them to use video conferencing and other online white board resources to have a seamless interaction with the team across the globe. This also provides exposure to the students to the current day global R&D platforms.
The latest project of this genre was collaboration with the Electrical Sciences Department at the University of Texas, Austin where four students from the 2005-09 ECE undergraduate batch developed a "USB based Bio-Medical Kit for the OLPC XO platform" that would be an excellent learning tool for the OLPC target community. A paper based on this work was published in an International Journal of Telemedicine and e-health in 2011. The students completed this work under the guidance of Dr. Sundar Gopalan. The students involved in this project are Mr. Nevin Alex Jacob, Mr. Vysakh P., Mr. Sandeep Nair and Mr. Prithviraj.
Three students of the 2008-09 batch were selected for the EURECA project. These students were getting scholarship of 1000 euros per month for 6 months. All other expenses such as travel, food and accommodation were also met as a part of this project. They spent 6 months at the university completing their final project with fully-funded scholarship
Mr. Ashwin Menon S. was chosen to join the Antennas and Propagating Systems Division of The Royal Technological University (KTH) of Sweden.
Mr. Saneep Kottath and Mr. Navneet Menon were selected to join the Robotics Department of Malardalen University, Sweden.
Since 2009 Amrita has entered into a tie up with IIT-B. Students from Amrita were selected for doing projects in IIT-B as part of INUP, under CEN (Centre of Excellence in Nanoelectronics), a collaborative project between IIT Bombay and IISc Bangalore. The students were completely sponsored for the project including travel, accommodation and research facilitie