Major Research Objectives
- Radio Frequency system design
- Antenna systems for strategic applications
- Design of compact printed MIMO antenna systems
- Design of low power ESD protected RF circuits working at millimeter wave frequencies using CMOS device
- EM characterization of materials for Electronic Applications
- Development of Low Cost Materials for Electromagnetic Absorber
- Development of EM based techniques for Agricultural Applications and Food Engineering
- Design and realization of a digital beamforming module for Radar
- Real time implementation issues in Spectrum Sensing
- Analysis of Beamforming techniques for Millimeter Wave MIMO
- Performance Evaluation of MIMO based Communication System on Minimized Multipath Environment
Selected Best Projects by UG/ PG Students
- Quaterwave shorted substrate free microstrip antenna systems for satellite launch vehicles.
- Design, implementation and realization of automated ellipsometric system for the measurement of permittivity of planar materials.
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based slot antenna systems and radiation studies
- Microwave characterization of Ecosand for EMI tolerant constructions
- Characterization of EM properties of fly ash
- Adaptive algorithms for digital beam forming in smart antennas
- Analysis of planar multilayered dielectric structures as electromagnetic absorbers for shielding applications
- Dielectric resonator based on-chip antenna and studies on mutual coupling issues in integrated circuits.
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based dielectric resonator antenna and its performance studies.
- Multi-layer microstrip antenna for MIMO.
- Analysis of reflective type phase shifter for millimeter wave application
Ph. D. Program and Area of Focus
Research Area: Development of low cost materials for EM absorber
Interference prevention schemes for large structures and buildings housing electrical equipment, sensitive telecommunication equipment, safety vaults, reactors and internet servers are also under investigation. Developing low cost materials from industrial by products, agricultural waste products can lead to innovative EM absorber designs, in addition to promoting sustainable technologies.
Research Area: Design of low power ESD protected RF circuits working at millimeter wave frequencies using CMOS device
To design a low power, ESD protected RF circuits working at millimeter wave frequencies using CMOS device. In this, low noise amplifers and differential amplifers are chosen whcin form the primary icons for the design of OP AMPs.
Research Area: Design of compact printed MIMO antenna systems
The design of MIMO antennas is a challenging area are the designer needs to take care of several issues that were not there when he/she were designing single or multiple antenna systems that are covering different bands. Such issues deal with the mutual coupling, the field correlation among others. In addition, designing multiple antenna systems requires introducing more metrics than those of a single antenna system.
Research Area: Design and realization of a digital beamforming module for Radar
Work on adaptive antenna arrays considering parameters like beamforming and direction of arrival. In this aspect machine learning algorithms like support vector machines and neural networks need to be investigated for radar applications .With the help of an adaptive array and the smart signal processing algorithms good directivity and clutter rejection are to be achieved with less complex circuitry.
Research Area: Performance analysis of MIMO based communication system on minimized multipath environment
The proposed project work focuses mainly towards MIMO based wireless systems under reduced multipath environment, in order to make it suitable for Satellite to multiuser communication. Spatial multiplexing and diversity maximization schemes can be deployed to achieve better spectral efficiencies and bit error rates (BER) when compared to the classical single satellite single receive station systems. Hence, the application of multiple input multiple output techniques to satellite communication systems appear to be appropriate in order to achieve increased spectral and bandwidth efficiency.
- Hardware Trogan Detection and consistency based Diagnosis - DRDO November 2015.
- Ramanathan, R., and Jayakumar, M., A Performance Study of Semidefinite Relaxation Detector in Spatially Correlated and Rank Deficient Large-MIMO Systems, Springer Wireless Personal Communications, 2015
- Ramanathan, R., and Jayakumar, M, A Novel Cuckoo Search Approach to Detection in Spatially Correlated MIMO Channels, Inderscience International Journal of Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Optimization, 2015
- Design of V-Band Low Noise Amplifier using Current Reuse Topologies", International Journal of Applied Engineering Research,Vol.9,No.24, pp.27319-27330,2015
- S. Kirthiga and M. Jayakumar, "Performance Studies and Review of Millimeter Wave MIMO Beamforming at 60 GHz, International Conference on Smart Grid Technologies and published in Elsevier Procedia Technology, August 2015.
- S. Kirthiga and M. Jayakumar, Performance of Dualbeam MIMO for Millimeter Wave Indoor Communication Systems, Springer Wireless Personal Communications, 77, 289, 2014
- S. Natarajamani, S. K. Behera, S. K. Patra, “A Compact planar diversity antennas for ultra wideband application with band notched function”, Microwave and optical technology letters ( Willey Publication), 54(4), PP.758-764, 2014.
- S. Natarajamani, S. K. Behera, S. K. Patra, “Planar ultra-wideband fractal antenna with 3.4 and 5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics”, International Journal of Signaland Imaging Systems Engineering, 6(1), PP.46-51, 2013.
- S. Natarajamani, S. K. Behera, S. K. Patra, “A triple band-notched planar antenna for UWB applications”, Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Application (TaylorFrancis Publication), 27(9), PP.1178-1186, 2013.
- S. Kirthiga, M. Jayakumar, Performance and Capacity analysis of MIMO system at 5 GHz and 60GHz in Indoor Environment, WSEAS Transactions on Communications, 11, 415, 2012
- V. Naren Srinivas, D. Karthik, V. Aravinth Kumar, V. D. Sidharth, T. Meenatchi Sundaram, Soummitro Sarkar, Sabarish Narayanan B., “Determination of Complex Permittivity of Fly Ash for Potential Electronic Applications”, Applied Mechanics and Materials, vols: 110-116, pp: 4292-4296, 2012.
- A. Raj, B. Karthigha, M. Jayakumar, Designing and Modeling of CMOS Low Noise Amplifier Using a Composite MOSFET Model Working at Millimeter-Wave Band, Springer Information Technology and Mobile Communication, 297, 2011
- Sriyuktha Sasikumar, Sabarish Narayanan B, “Analysis Reflective Type Phase Shifter for Millileter Wave Application”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication, Computing and Networking Technologies(ICSCCN2011), pp:342-346, July 21-22, 2011
- P. Kumar, M. Jayakumar, Comparison of Bit Error Rate for Propagation Mechanisms of Millimeter Waves in a Practical Communication Systems Employing PSK and FSK, PIERS Proceedings, Cambridge, USA, 292, 2010.
- Sabarish Narayanan B, Bratin Ghosh, and Saswati Ghosh, “Antenna Factor Computation for Planar Antenna Structures using Surface Integral Equation”, Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Electromagnetic Interference and Compatibility (INCEMIC 2008), pp: 329-334, November 24-27, 2008.
Microwave and Antenna Lab
The lab is equipped with full-fledged X band wave guide bench with Klystron and Gunn based microwave sources and Scalar power meter. Over the last three years, the lab has undertaken rigorous research and development activities in the area of electromagnetic characterization of fly ash and development of antennas on cylindrical substrates. Presently an Anechoic Chamber for frequency range above 1 GHz is under construction.
Communication System Design Lab
The lab is equipped with Ettus Research Universal Software Radio Peripheral Networked Series (USRP-N210) with wide range of RF daughter boards from 0 to 6 GHz and Xilinx Spartan 3A-DSP Motherboard. USRP is a fully reconfigurable wireless transceiver which automatically adapts its communication parameters to network and user demands. All of the high-speed general purpose operations like digital up and down conversion, decimation and interpolation are done on the FPGA. The basic design philosophy behind the USRP has been to do all of the waveform-specific processing, like modulation and demodulation, filtering on the host CPU using GNU Radio. GNU Radio is development toolkit that provides communication and signal processing blocks to implement software radios. In addition to this, EM device design and analysis tool Ansys HFSS is available.
Opportunities For Projects UG/ PG/ PhD
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based differential band pass filter for space applications
- Integrated microstrip antenna with low noise block for launch vehicle TTC application
- Compact multi-polarized antenna for MIMO configurations
- Design and development in Reconfigurable MIMO antenna
- MOS based inductor design, Moderate inversion based LNA, low power, high gain amplifier design
- EM Characterization of Materials for Low Cost Absorbers
- Developing Non Destructive Testing Techniques for Food and Agricultural industry
- Development of radio subsystems on reconfigurable hardware platform
- Analysis of precoding techniques for Massive MIMO
- Analysis of power efficient techniques for Massive MIMO