Communication and Signal Processing
Major research objectives
The research group intends to pursue research in the communication and signal processing and to develop cutting edge technologies to cater to the demands of futuristic wireless networks and systems. The research group focuses on
- Massive 5G wireless communication systems – PHY layer design, signal processing and security;
- Radio Frequency system design, Antenna systems for strategic applications, Microwave systems and materials;
- Signal processing and optimization for inverse problems in communication system design and biomedical signal processing applications;
- Hardware prototyping of signal processing algorithms.
Selected projects by UG students
- Robust MIMO Detection in the presence of Channel Estimation Errors (UG)
- A Meta Heuristic Approach to MIMO Detection (UG)
- Quaterwave shorted Substrate free microstrip antenna systems for satellite launch vehicles.(UG)
- Design, Implementation and realization of automated Ellipsometric system for the measurement of permittivity of planar materials.(UG)
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based slot antenna systems and radiation studies. (UG)
- Investigation of Space Time Coding and Precoding for MIMO Systems (UG)
- Implementation and Analysis of Efficient Scheduling Algorithm for IEEE 802.11e (UG)
- Audio Steganography in DCT Domain (UG)
- UKF for channel estimation for high mobility system. (UG)
- Low complex fuzzy based kalman filter for fast time varying MIMO-OFDM systems. (UG)
- Design and Analysis of MIMO -OFDM Transceivers via Geometric Mean Decomposition (UG)
- Improved Channel Estimation Techniques for MIMO-OFDM Systems (UG)
- Development of Spectrum Sensing Techniques for Cognitive Radios in Low SNR Conditions (UG)
- Implementation of Software Defined Radar with Improved Signal Detection Techniques using Wavelets (UG)
- Joint CFO and Channel estimation for fast time varying channels in MIMO-OFDM systems. (UG)
- Sparse channel estimation for MIMO-OFDM system. (UG)
- Non Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing system. (UG)
- Design, Analysis and Optimization of Microwave Band Pass Filters (UG)
- Design and Implementation of Angle Acquisition Card and Development of its GUI (UG)
- Design and Development of a Reconfigurable Antenna for WLAN Applications (UG)
- Implementation of Orthogonal Complementary Codes for Reducing Interference in CDMA Technology (UG)
Selected projects by PG students
- Dielectric resonator based on-chip antenna and studies on mutual coupling issues in integrated circuits. (PG)
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based dielectric resonator antenna and its performance studies (PG)
- Multi-layer microstrip antenna for MIMO (PG)
- FPGA Implementation of Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm for MIMO Transceivers (PG)
- High Performance MIMO Systems using Simulated Annealing (PG)
- Implementation of PSO Algorithm on FPGA for MIMO Systems (PG)
- Mp3 Steganalysis (PG)
- Network Intrusion detection system in FPGA.(PG)
- Implementation of baseband transmitter and performance analysis of multiband OFDM UWB system (PG)
- EKF for channel estimation combined with decision feedback equalizer for high mobility system. (PG)
- Precoding of OFDM signals for PAPR reduction. (PG)
PhD program and area of focus
- 5G LTE systems
- Massive MIMO and OFDM systems
- Compressed sensing
- RF systems
- Millimeter wave MIMO
- Hardware architectures for signal processing
- Signal processing for communications
- Wireless information security
- Microwave Absorbers
Title: Hardware Trojan Detection and Consistency-based Diagnosis
- Anuraj, S., P.Premalatha, and T. Gireeshkumar. "High Speed Network Intrusion Detection System Using FPGA." Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computer and Communication Technologies. Springer India, 2016.
- Neha S, Thushara S, Ramanathan.R (2015). Investigation of PAPR in Discrete Wavelet Transform based Multi-carrier Systems. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1625 - 1632.
- Meenu S Kumar, Sandra Prasad, Ramanathan.R (2015). Performance Evaluation of DWT based Multicarrier System in Time Varying Channels. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1633 - 1641.
- Suganya M, Ramanathan.R (2015). Performance Evaluation of DWT based Multicarrier Systems over Frequency Selective Channels. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1651 - 1658.
- Ramanathan.R , & Jayakumar, M. (2015), A Performance Study of Semidefinite Relaxation Detector in Spatially Correlated and Rank Deficient Large MIMO Systems, Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 83, No. 4, pp. 2883 - 2897.
- Ramanathan.R, & Jayakumar, M. (2015), A Novel Cuckoo Search Approach to Detection in Spatially Correlated MIMO Channels, International Journal of Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Optimization, Vol.6, No.2, pp.101 - 113.
- Anil Kumar. K, Raju Antony. K, T. C. Snehith, and R.Ramanathan, “Likelihood Ascent-Gibbs Sampling for Efficient MIMO Detection,” in Proc. 2015 IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC), 2015, pp. 598 - 602.
- T. C. Snehith, Raju Antony. K, Anil Kumar. K, and R.Ramanathan, “Impact of Channel Estimation Errors on Lattice Reduction Gains in MIMO Systems,” in Proc. 2015 IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC), 2015, pp. 594 - 597.
- Kuriakose, Rinu, and P. Premalatha. "A Novel Method for MP3 Steganalysis." In Intelligent Computing, Communication and Devices, pp. 605-611. Springer India, 2015.
- Harsha Damodaran, Sudheesh.P, Jayakumar, M, “Extended Kalman Filter For Channel Estimation Combined With Decision Feedback Equalizer For Very High Mobility System”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research ISSN 0973-4562 Volume 10, Number 14 (2015) pp 33914 - 33918
- Kirthiga S, and Jayakumar M, “Performance of Dual beam MIMO for Millimeter Wave Indoor Communication Systems” Wireless Personal Communications, Springer, Vol:77,Issue.1, pp 289-307, 2014.
- Archanaa M., Karthigha Balamurugan and Jayakumar M. “Design of MOS-based All – Pass Filter using Thermal Noise Models”, International Conference on Embedded Systems (ICES 2014). July 3rd-5th ,2014
- Sarathkrishna S., Karthigha Balamurugan, Nirmala Devi M. and Jayakumar M., ”Design and Analysis of GaN HEMT based LNA with CPW Matching”, in:11th International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Networks (WOCN). September 11th – 13th, 2014.
- Bindhiya Vinod, Karthigha Balamurugan and Jayakumar M.”Design of CMOS based Reconfigurable LNA at Millimeter Wave frequency using Active Load”, IEEE International Conference on Advanced communication, Control and computing Technologies, May 8th- 10th, 2014.
- Karthigha Balamurugan, M.Nirmala Devi and M.Jayakumar, “Roadmap to the modeling approach and design of RF CMOS devices”, 2nd Amrita International Conference on Women in Computing (AICWIC – 2013), Jan 9-11,2013
- Ignatius, G.; Murali, K.V.U.; Krishna, N.S.; Sachin, P.V.; Sudheesh, P., "Extended Kalman Filter based estimation for fast fading MIMO channels," Devices, Circuits and Systems (ICDCS), 2012 International Conference on , vol., no., pp.466,469, 15-16 March 2012
- Sudheesh, P.; Jayakumar, A.; Siddharth, R.; Srikanth, M.S.; Bhaskar, N.H.; Sivakumar, V.; Sudhakar, C.K., "Cyclic prefix assisted sparse channel estimation for OFDM systems," Computing, Communication and Applications (ICCCA), 2012 International Conference on , vol., no., pp.1,4, 22-24 Feb. 2012
- S.Kirthiga and M.Jayakumar, “Performance and Capacity analysis of MIMO system at 5 GHz and 60 GHz in indoor environment”, WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Volume No.11,Page No. 415-426, November 2012.
- Sari, Karthigha Balamurugan and M.Jayakumar, “Dependence of Substrate Resistance of RF MOSFET on the Performance of LNA at 60 GHz”, IJCSI(International Journal of Computer Science Issues) ISSN:1694-0814, Vol. 9, Issue 4, No 2, 277-283, July 2012
- Sabarish Narayanan B, Subramanian Ramalingam, M.Jayakumar, “A Novel Analytical Model for Wave Propagation through High Frequency Circuit Substrates for analysis of Wireless Interconnects”, Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Electromagnetic Interference and Compatibility (INCEMIC 2012), pp:507-510, December 6-7, 2012.
- S.Kirthiga, M.Jayakumar and Ansu Mathew, “Least Squares Channel estimation for 2x2 MIMO Millimeter Wave System”, International Conference on Emerging Technological Trends in Advanced Engineering Research [ICETT 2012], February 20-2, 2012
- Sari, KarthighaBalamurugan and M.Jayakumar “Extraction and Modeling of Metallization Capacitance of MOSFET for Millimeter-Wave CMOS Circuits”, 4th International Conference on Electronics Computer Technology- ICECT 2012, April 8th 2012.
- Computational Optimization and Innovations Lab
- Communication System Design Lab
- Communication Engineering lab
- Microwave & Antenna Lab
Opportunities for projects UG/ PG/ PhD
Projects are currently available in the following topics
- Massive MIMO communications
- Specialized RF systems and antennas for wireless Technologies
- Vehicular networks and intelligent transportation systems
- Compact Multi-polarized antenna for MIMO configurations
- Channel Estimation Techniques
- Wireless Information security
- MIMO Radar systems
- Compressed sensing
- Design of MIMO OFDM systems
- Adaptive Filtering techniques
- Substrate Integrated Waveguide based differential band pass filter for space applications
- Development of planar wide band microwave absorbers
- Integrated microstrip antenna with low noise block for launch vehicle TTC application
- Image/Audio steganography / steganalysis
- Coding and Cryptography
- Signal processing for communications