Activities at School of Pharmacy
- A talk on An Overview of Formulation Development in Big Pharma followed by an interactive session on Developing Soft Skills, Interviewing and Transitioning into a Non-R&D Career within the Pharmaceutical Industry by Dr. Siddharthya Mujumdar, Principal Scientist, Continuous Manufacturing Unit, Technical R&D, Novartis Pharma AG, Switzerland and Dr. Swapna Bhagavanth, Scientific Communications on December 17, 2013. As part of the periodic invited lectures organized for various batches of the School, several invited lecture session was convened at Amrita School of Pharmacy. The first talk by Dr. Siddharthya Mujumdar was a technical overview of the drug development process as seen from a Pharmaceutics and a regulatory standpoint.Highlighting the roadblocks involved in the journey of a molecule from being a lead to a marketed drug, the speaker emphasized on strengthening the learning at the undergraduate level to attain strong fundamentals in the science.Citing his background in polymer engineering as an example, Dr. Siddharthya reiterated the multidisciplinary nature of Pharmaceutical research and showed how people from different academic backgrounds fit into the scheme of things in the industry. Although attended by Pharm. D. students as well as P. G. research scholars, the final year B. Pharm. students were the target audience for these sessions. Vidya Viswanad delivered a vote of thanks and handed over mementoes to the speakers.
- A talk on Chitosan based systems for the delivery of Biopharmaceutical drugs by Dr. Bruno Sarmento on July 26, 2013. He shared insights about natural polymer chitosan, covering various aspects such as types of chitosan, chitosan nanoparticles for delivery of drugs, proteins, genetic materials through various routes of administration like oral, ocular, nasal, etc. Dr. Sarmento's talk mainly emphasized on his research work to improve oral insulin delivery by incorporating insulin into solid lipid nanoparticles, dextran and alginate nanoparticles cotated with chitosan.
"The chitosan coating provides optimum release of insulin with better antidiabetic action. Chitosan due to its hydrophobic character exhibit less intestinal solubility and due to its mucoadhesive property it provide prolonged contact time with intestine and also enhances paracellular transport by opening of tight junctions," he explained.
His talk covered various aspects of Nanotechnology like preparation method used, Nanocharacterization methods and selected invitro cell culture studies and invivo animal studies.
Dr. Sarmento also interacted with students and faculty members and answered their queries.
Dr. Sarmento is also Assistant Professor at Institute of Superior De Sciences, Norte, Gandra Porugal. He also served as Postdoctoral Research Associate in Department of pharmaceutical Technology at University of Porto, Portugal.
- A talk on Interpretation of Proton NMR by Dr. Rajasekharan, Professor & Principal, KMCH College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore on August 31, 2013.
- A talk on Application of Kinetics in Formulation Development and its Regulatory Perspective by Dr. N. Anilkumar, Asst. Professor, College of Pharmacy, Mahatma Gandhi University, Cheruvandoor Campus on August 31, 2013.
- A talk on Ayurveda in Trasition by Arun A., Senior Manager (Product Development) and Vaidyaratnam P. S., Variers Aryavaidyasala, Kottakkal, Malappuram Dist., Kerala on March 2, 2013.
- A talk on Introduction in general with special reference to the Pharmaceutical Industry by Prof. Boby Johns George, Dept. of Pharmaceutics, St. Joseph’s College of Pharmacy, Cherthala on March 9, 2013.
- A talk on Patient Counseling Aspects in Pharm. D. Curriculum by Christine Joseph on April 28, 2011.
- A talk on Guidelines for Warfarin Therapy by Christine Joseph on April 12, 2011.
- A talk on Role of Pharmacist in Emergency Department of Hospitals in Western Countries by Christine Joseph on April 8, 2011.
- A talk on Perspectives in Drug Discovery: Changing Paradigms by Dr. M. K. Unnikrishnan, Professor, Manipal University on December 23, 2010.
- A talk on Patient Reported outcomes : an Overview and Pharm D Programme in US. by Dr. Sudheer Unni and Dr. Elizabeth J. Unni , Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern Nevada, Utah ,US on December 23, 2010.
- A talk on Pain Management in Paediatric Patients by Nisha Varughese, Pharm. D., Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist, Ottawa, Canada on November 19, 2010.
- Dr. Venkat Rangan, Vice Chancellor of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham visited Amrita School of Pharmacy on October 22, 2010.
- A talk on "Emerging Opportunities for Community Pharmacists" by Dr. Anantha Naik Nagappa, Professor, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University on October 18, 2010.
- A talk on Pharmacoinformatics by Shri. Krishnan Namboori P. K., Professor, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Ettimadai, on September 16, 2010.
- A talk on Stereochemical Aspects of Drug Design and New Approaches Towards Drug Design on Respiratory and Pulmonary Infections by Dr. A. R Bhatt, Professor, Manipal College of Pharmacy, Manipal, on September 16, 2010.
- A talk on Research on Probiotics for Renal Failure Patients by Natarajan Ranganathan, Ph. D. Interim CEO, Senior Vice President (R & D), Kibow Biotech, PA, USA, on April 5, 2010.
- A talk on Value Based Education by Vijay Menon, HR and Organization Development External Associate to Ascendas India, Training Panelist in Kerala State Judicial Academy, on March 1, 2010.
- A lecture on Overview of NMR Spectroscopy and Interpretation by Prasanna Ramani, Assistant Professor, Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore on February 22 - 23, 2010.
- A talk on Chiral Switch Strategy, by Dr. Valliappan Kannappan, Professor of Department of Pharmacy, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu, on January 25 - 26, 2010.
- An introductory talk on Marine Medicine and Scope of Research in Marine Products by Dr. A. Laxminarayana, M. Sc., Ph. D., F. Z. S., Fisheries Consultant and Ex- Principal, Scientist and Head, Fishery Environment Management Division, Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, on September 2009.
- A invited lecture on, Wound Healing Research by Prof. Eileen Thatcher, Department of Biology, Sonoma State ,USA, on September 16, 2009.
- A invited lecture on Analytical Method Development and Validation by Mr. B. V. Reddy, Senior Quality Control Manager, Startech Laboratories Pvt. Ltd, Hyderabad, on February 25, 2009.
- A talk on HIV by Dr. James Doyel Scott, Pharm. D., M. Ed., B. S., Director of Residency and Fellowship Training , Pharmacy Practice and Administration, Western University of Health Sciences, California, USA, on February 19, 2009.
- A invited lecture on Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics by Dr. C. Vijayaraghavan, P. S. G. College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore on January 30, 2009.
- Talks on ABC of Rational Use of Drugs and Drug Development by Dr. Guru Prasad Mohanta, Professor of Pharmacy, Annamalai University on January 13 - 14, 2009.
- A demonstration on Animal Experiments by Mr. B. Sentil, R. V. S. College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore, on January 2, 2009.
From the School
April 07, 2014
A quiz competition based on the subject pharmacuetical sciences and medicine was conducted on April 07, 2014 in the School of Pharmacy. Fifteen students from B.Pharm, M.Pharm, Pharm.D and Pharm.D (PB) participated in the quiz competition.
There were 5 teams and the whole competition was divided into five rounds namely, general round, know your medicine round, subject choice round, visual round a rapid fire round. Final year B.Pharm students (Sandeep Sankaran, Radhika Unnikrishnan, Divine P. Daniel) bagged the first prize with 93 points. Pharm.D IV Year students (Aparna R. Das, K. Aditi, Anisha Mohan) won the second prize with 48 points.
March 10-12, 2014
Displaying Sporting Talent, the School's Pharma Sports fest sees enthusiastic participation from students and staff members. The pharma sports fest Udghosh 14 began with an impressive inauguration on March 10, 2014. The meet was declared open by the Principal, Dr. Sabitha M. who also delivered an inspiring address. The inaugural ceremony included a marchpast by the different batches, lighting of the torch by athletes of various batches, oath taking by Sandeep Sankaran and captains of different classes followed by a colorful dance by the organising batch (2012 batch). A mascot was brought to the ground which entertained all staff and students.
The fest was for three days from March 10 - 12, 2014. Different indoor and outdoor games and athletics for both boys and girls were held during this period. There was tight but healthy competition in most of the games as the players gave their best in each of the games. Turnover of the supporters of different batches was also high. All the games were played in the true spirit of sportsmanship.
Mr. Sunil Dutt And Ms. Kavya, physical instructors at the Health Sciences campus deserve a special mention as they were present throughout and always gave full support to the students in all sports events. A cricket match between students and faculty members provided entertainment to all. The B. Pharm and Pharm D. (2010 batches) won the overall championship of Udghosh 2014.
The event had a graceful end with the sports flag being ceremoniously handed over to the organizers of the next year‘s sports fest followed by a colorful dance by 2013 batch. Prizes were distributed by the principal and faculty members. With AMMA’s grace and blessings, the 2012 batch and sports committee with the able support from the principal, teaching & non teaching staff and all students were able to make UDGHOSH 14 a grand success!!
March 7, 2014
An inter collegiate chess competition was held as a part of starting an indoor club for the School of Pharmacy. This was conducted in association with Chess Association, Ernakulam. There were 16 participants representing the various schools at Health Sciences campus.
The first prize (cash award of Rs. 2500) was bagged by Adithya Vivek (MBBS 2012 batch) from the School of Medicine. Aravind Siva (B.Pharm 2010 batch) from the School of Pharmacy won the second prize (cash award of Rs. 1500). The third prize (cash award of Rs. 1000) was bagged by Anand Pillai (MBBS 2012 batch) from the School of Medicine. All the participants appreciated the competition and most of them had their first experience of playing the game in a professional way.
Dhwani 2013 - The Arts Fest
November 2 – 3, 2013
Students of all batches showcased their talents with joy and enthusiasm for the dynamic cultural extravaganza. The fest included both off-stage and on-stage events with full support from the teachers of all departments.
The off-stage events were conducted during October 21-28, 2013 which included programs such as pencil drawing, extempore, poem writing, essay writing in English and Malayalam, cartoon drawing, story writing, water coloring, debate, oil painting, recitation, mehandi designing, face painting, elocution, tableau and quiz competition.
The creative pulse was widened with the on-stage items such asthiruvathira, split dance, fancy dress, group song, folk dance, mime,adapt to tune, bharathanatyam, karaoke, mohiniyattam, folk song and a mesmerizing skit from all the teams.
The overall championship was bagged by the host batch Orionz 2011who were the organizers of the fest. Vineeth (III year B. Pharm. student) of Orionz was honored as Kalapratibha and Malavika ( III year Pharm. D. student) as Kalathilakam. The second place was acquired by Aventadors 2012, followed by Pegasus 2010 and Mavericks 2013.
The best speaker award went to Vineeth of III year B. Pharm. student (Orionz 2011 batch) and best actor award to Akamsh of I year B. Pharm. (Mavericks 2013 batch).
September 12, 2013
The spirit of Onam was made more colorful with the cultural programs by students.
"Onam is a festival of prosperity, equality and happiness. When we develop attitude of care and concern for the feelings of others with the same as that of ours, life becomes easy and ultimately prosperity and happiness will also follow. But on the other hand when a person is very selfish and self oriented, the life becomes more strenuous than it is," shared Dr. Sabitha M., Principal, Amrita School of Pharamacy.
"Egoism is a failure for success, the importance of culture along with happiness makes a complete onam," noted Sri. Hariharan, Visiting Faculty, Value-based Education.
The staff and students enjoyed the delicious onam sadhya. As part of the onam celebrations, pookalam competition (Floral Decoration Contest), musical chair for faculty and other games were also conducted.
Dedicated to Selfless Service
September 11, 2013
With an intention to elevate social awareness of cleanliness of surroundings, Amala Bharatam Campaign cleanup initiative was performed in the School campus.
The aim of the campaign was to clinch initiatives to clean and promote health by proper disposal of garbage and wastes.
This endeavor was fulfilled with the full support of all the students and staffs packed with energy and enthusiasm for the fulfillment of the task in the college.
The waste was separated out into non-degradable plastic waste to assist in its appropriate disposal. Several trucks helped with the waste collection and disposal effort.
“We are proud to be a part of this cleanup program” responded the students. The interest was enhanced when both the students and teachers of Amrita School of Pharmacy as well as Amrita Centre for Nanosciences & Molecular Medicine did the work side-by-side.
Emerging Role of Pharmacy Professionals in Indian Healthcare
September 6, 2013
In connection with Amritavarsham60 celebrations, the School organized a panel discussion titled Emerging Role of Pharmacy Professionals in Indian Healthcare.
The objective of the discussion was to mould the younger generation Pharmacy professionals to improve their professional outlook and to contribute significantly.
High-profile panelists included Aji Joseph Kurian (Drug Inspector, Ernakulam), P. K. Harikumar (Retired Senior Manager, KSDP), Dr. V. Sankar (Professor and HOD, Department of Pharmacy Practice, PSG College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore), Dinesh Pallipatmana (Senior Pharmacist, Amrita Pharmacy, AIMS, Kochi), Dr. Nishant Kumar Gupta (Senior Research Associate, Arjuna Naturals Extracts Ltd, Aluva), Rasheed P. M. (Managing Director, Medicare Health Solutions Pvt. Ltd),Shibu S. A. (Regional Head-Kerala (Sales), Clover Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.), Dr. Mohamed Hisham (Clinical Pharmacist, Dept. of Critical Care medicine, KMCH, Coimbatore), John Joseph (Research Scholar, Center for Nanotechnology, AIMS Kochi) and Elizabeth M. Koshy (Pharm.D (PB) Intern, Amrita School of Pharmacy).
The moderator, Mr. Naveen Kumar Panicker, Lecturer, Amrita School of Pharmacy, outlined the basic facts of how India emerged as a leading drug producer.
The discussion was an opportunity for shedding light on the role of Pharm D. in various aspects of healthcare sector. The discussion was dynamic and offered a glimpse of various sections in Pharmacy such as hospital and clinical pharmacy, institutional, wholesale, manufacturing production, academia and marketing.
An attempt was made to tackle the common issues faced by pharmacy professionals in the society.
The panel discussion was followed by a fun-filled skit which promoted the theme of harmful effects of self-medication.
Independence Day Celebration
August 14, 2013
The country's 67th Independence Day was celebrated with great fervor at the School. The zest and zeal with which the students and faculty members displayed was significant.
Emphasizing on the importance to understand the strong cultural and spiritual backbone of our country Principal, Dr. Sabitha M. shared valuable insights.
"The life in India is colorful with the variety of festivals, traditional rituals, art and dance forms. The values of discipline should be imbibed by all and the sacrifice of great people should always be remembered," she remarked.
A quiz competition was also conducted by quizmaster Mr. Aravind R. Mridula Ramkumar and Lavanya Chandran bagged the first place followed by Jayakrishnan and Ciciliya.
The celebration definitely helped to evolve a sense of patriotism in all the students.
Ramayana Quiz During Karkkidaka Masam
August 13, 2013
Quiz competition on the Ramayana during Karkkidaka month sees participation from students and faculty members.
The significance and symbolism of the epic and the importance of Ramayana in human life was elucidated by Dr. Sabitha M., Principal. She emphasized on the importance to lead a life based on dharma and truth.
For the questions tossed up by quizmaster S. Hariharan during the quiz competition based on the Ramayana, there was immense enthusiasm from the students and faculty members for the coordination and success of the quiz competition.
The first prize was bagged by the team Ayodhya - Neethu C. M. and Sruthy T. P. followed by the team Kishkinda - Sreelakshmi Sreekumar and Darshana Sudarshanan.
Outgoing Students Farewell
July 5, 2013
Graduands of pharmacy programs, B. Pharm., M. Pharm. and Pharm D. students from the Amrita College of Pharmacy received a fond farewell.
Intercollegiate Chess Competition
March 23, 2013
As part of the Pharma Sports Fest, a chess competition was conducted with Chess Association, Ernakulam. Aravind Siva S., student, won certificate and cash award of Rs. 4000/-.
Udghosh Sports Fest
March 12 - 16, 2013
Displaying Sporting Talent, the School's Pharma Sports fest sees enthusiastic participation from students and staff members.
UDHGHOSH 2013 began with a colorful inauguration on March 12, 2013 and was was spread over five days. The fest was inaugurated by Mr. T. P. Ouseph, Head, Coach of Mission Gold - A project of Kerala Cricket, Kerala.
The inauguration was followed by a colorful March Past and lighting of Olympic torch befitting any such occasion. Customary to such occasion, the fest also saw a dance program and fireworks. The students of the school proved their ability in the sports arena and the games were played in the true spirit of sportsmanship.
The faculty members also participated to make it a memorable event.
Orionz (B. Pharm. & Pharm. D. (Regular, 2nd year) were declared the overall champions.
The closing ceremony ended with the school flag being ceremoniously handed over to the organizers of the next year’s sports, followed by a dance of the next year’s organizer.Dr. Sabitha M., Principal, School of Pharmacy, distributed the prizes and with which the curtains were drawn.
Pharmacy Week Celebrations
November 19 - 23, 2012
Students and faculty of Amrita School of Pharmacy celebrate role of pharmacist in public health during National Pharmacy Week.
Adhvaya 2012 - The Arts Fest
October 14 - 16, 2012
Adhvaya, the colorful Arts Festival of the School of Pharmacy organized by BPharm and PharmD students.
Avani 2012 , 24th August 2012
August 24, 2012
The students and staff of Amrita School of Pharmacy celebrated Onam Avani 2012 on 24th August 2012.
The students conducted various competitions like Malayali Manka,Vachaka Raja, Thiruvathirakali, Group Dance, Onappattu, etc.
Students and staff had Onasadya and also they participated in various games like Uriyadi, Tug of War, Banana Eating, Filling the Bottle, etc.