Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham was the youngest institution to be awarded with an 'A' grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body established in 1994 by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India to assess and accredit institutions of higher education in the country.
To be eligible to apply for the NAAC accreditation, an educational institution should have completed five years. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham had just completed six years in January 2009 when it applied for the accreditation. 'A' is the highest grade that can be awarded to the best-in-class institutions for higher learning.
In the context of Higher Education, the accreditation status indicates that the particular Higher Educational Institutions meets the standards of quality set by the Accreditation Agency, in terms of its performance, related to the educational processes and outcomes, covering the curriculum, teaching-learning, evaluation, faculty, research, infrastructure, learning resources, organisation, governance, financial well being and student services.
The NAAC team was appreciative of the fact that in spite of the multiple campuses, schools and disciplines, the institution is very cohesive, vibrant, dedicated and a well managed unit. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has the unique distinction of being the nation‘s first of its kind – fully interactive, multi-disciplinary, multi-media, virtual campus without geographical limitations, with all its campuses inter-linked through a satellite link provided by Indian Space Research organisation (ISRO).
The satellite network for education and research that links all the campuses of the institution has facilitated leading experts to have academic interaction live from a single centre to students, academicians, and researchers at the other campuses. This is done through state-of-the-art e-learning studios in all campuses.
I am proud to state that we are the only institution in Kerala to have received an A grade accreditation by NAAC.
--Dr. Prem Nair, Medical Director, Kochi Healthcare Campus
Ours is a remarkable achievement, given that Amrita is one of the youngest universities ever to be awarded an A grade accreditation, within a short time since its inception.
--Br. Sudeep, Director, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri Campus
It was perhaps one of the most complex accreditation exercises undertaken by NAAC. Over a hundred people at Amrita were directly involved with the accreditation exercise, serving as campus-level, school-level and department-level coordinators.
--Prashant R. Nair, Vice Chair - IT, Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore Campus
Amrita Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)
IQAC aims to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution.
Some of the functions of the IQAC are:
- Development and application of quality benchmarks/parameters for the various academic and administrative activities of the institution.
- Dissemination of information on the various quality parameters of higher education.
- Organisation of workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles.
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement.
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) to be submitted to NAAC based on the quality parameters.
IQAC evolves mechanisms and procedures for:
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks.
- Optimisation and integration of modern methods of teaching, learning and evaluation.
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and functioning of the support structure.
IQAC facilitates and contributes to:
- A heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement and facilitates internalisation of the quality culture.
- The enhancement and integration among the various activities of the institution and to institutionalise many good practices.
- Providing a sound basis for decision making to improve institutional functioning.
- Acting as a change agent in the institution.
- The betterment of internal communication.
MISSION OF AMRITA VISHWA VIDYAPEETHAM
Our quality goals and objectives are to consistently achieve and maintain excellence in student performance with respect to grades, discipline, placement, extracurricular activities and social work.
- Provide value based education.
- Mould the character of the younger generation.
- Have a system of wholesome learning.
NOTE: “Wholesome” is conducive to moral or general well being in such a way that there is a match between their (younger generation’s) earnest endeavour to achieve progress and prosperity in life, and their ardent desire to extend selfless service to the society.
Quality Goals and Objectives
- To become a World Class Institution
- To constantly strive towards modernisation and excellence in infrastructure and facilities.
- To consistently achieve and maintain excellence in student performance in:
- Extra‐curricular activities
- Social work
- To consistently achieve and maintain a high level of quality of the Faculty in:
- Educational qualifications
- Teaching competence
- Research output
- Excellence in administration
NAAC Re-Accreditation Report 2008-'13
Annual Quality Assurance Reports
Annual Report & Audited Accounts
IQAC MembersInstitution Level
Dr. Sriram Devanathan
Prof. Prashant Nair