OMES and OMICS Fifth Semester Syllabus for BSc Biotechnology
COURSE NAME: OMES & OMICS
COURSE CODE: BIO 318
PROGRAM: BSc Biotechnology
Genome & Genomics:
Genome mapping: Physical and Genetic Map, Genome Sequencing, Next generation sequencing methods ,Genome Annotation, Functional Genomics.
Search for transcription factor binding sites,RNA-Seq, Microarrays, Regulatory RNAs: small or large, Computational prediction of miRNA target genes, RNA Darkmatter
Basic concepts , Tools of proteomics- SDS PAGE, 2D PAGE , Liquid chromatography , Mass Spectrometry (ESI and MALDI) ,Protein identification by peptide mass fingerprinting ,Applications of proteomics.
Fundamental concept, Tools of metabolomics- Capillary electrophoresis, Gas chromatography, Electrochemical detectors, Case studies.
Basic concepts and tools Case studies
Systems Biology and Bioinformatics.
- Techniques and concepts
- Approaches to identify the protease and protease-substrate repertoires, or
- 'degradomes', on an organism-wide scale
- Uncover new roles for proteases in vivo.
- Identification of new pharmaceutical targets to treat disease (Emerging degradomic )
- Introduction to Proteomics -Tools for the New Biology by Daniel C. Liebler, Humana Press.
- Mass Spectrometry for Biotechnology by Gary Siuzdak, Academic Press.
- Proteomics for Biological Discovery by Timothy Veenstra and John Yates, Wiley.
- Metabolomics- Methods and Protocols by Wolfram Weckwerth, Humana Press.
- Lipidomics- Technologies and Applications by Kim Ekroos, Wiley-VCH.
- Web/Journal Resources.
- Transcriptomics: Expression Pattern Analysis, Virendra Gomase, Somnath Tagore; VDM Publishing, 2009 – Science