M. Tech. Power Electronics and Drives course was introduced by Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore and Bangalore in 2003. Internship opportunities are available in core industries. A well-equipped laboratory to facilitate the research needs of graduate students includes experimental laboratory with three phase IGBT based inverter, FPGA and PWM card, PLC training kit, Dspace ACE training kit, NI-DAQ ,TMS kits and computer lab with softwares like MATLAB, OrCAD , Lab VIEW, ETAP, PSCAD, DIgSILENT, Xilinx, MultiSim, etc. Alumni of the course are placed in ABB, Robert Bosch, L&T, etc. Students publish research papers in scopus indexed journals or conferences as a part of their course. Many students received best paper awards in various conferences for their research papers.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
- PEO1:To prepare graduates to acquire high quality technical competence in Power electronics and its allied application areas so that they are employable in innovative Power Electronic and Drives Industries and/or in research and consultancy.
- PEO2: To transform studentsto be industry ready by providing advanced techniques and experimentations on modelling, design and performance analysis on thrust areas of power electronics and unleash new research directions and discoveries.
- PEO3:To prepare graduates to practice professionalism, maintain ethics in all their research and professional accomplishments and provide opportunity to participate in team work and develop effective communication skills.
This course aims at training graduate engineers in the field of Power Electronics, with the state of the art techniques in system-level modeling analysis, design and integration of motor drives, renewable energy technologies, smart grids and electric vehicles. The course also covers advanced topics in digital signal processors and embedded controllers, which are very much needed for today's Power Electronics engineer. The Program culminates with a project work in which the students are encouraged to work on specific areas involving design, simulation, fabrication and testing of any power electronics system having research/industrial application values.
The major objectives of the M.Tech. programme in Power Electronics are to equip the students with adequate knowledge and skills in Power Electronics and to prepare them for the following career options:
- Research programmes in Power Electronics, Electric Drives, Renewable energy technologies and related areas
- Employment in R & D organizations related to power electronics, drives and sustainable technologies
- Pursue doctoral research work in-house and various other premier R & D institutions
- Work in power electronic circuit design and fabrication industries
- Faculty positions in reputed institutions
Program Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems
- PO2: An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
- PSO1: To develop models and analyse power electronic systems using modern engineering and computational tools.
- PSO2: To Formulate Methodology for Decision Making Upon Investigations Into Power Electronic and Drives Research Problems
- PSO3: To develop prudence in project management, technical documentation meeting publication standards and communication skills.
Duration : Two years
A Pass with Minimum 60% in B.E./B.Tech in the relevant area of specialisation or equivalent qualification
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
- Instrumentation & Control Engineering
Thrust Areas in Research
- Power quality
- STATCOM and Hybrid FACTS controllers
- Low speed estimation and control of AC motor drives
- Wireless power transfer
- Hybrid electric vehicles
- Controlled power supplies design using power converters
- Hybrid energy systems ( Wind & Solar integration)
- Battery management
- Microgrid management and Smart grids
- Control & coordination of aerial robots
|Linear Algebra and Matrix Algebra
||Power Converters I
|Electrical Machine Analysis
||Analog Signal Processing and Control
|Digital Signal Processing
||Power Converters II
|Electric Drives and Control
||Digital Signal Processors
|Digital Signal Design
|Flexible AC Transmission Systems
||High Voltage DC Transmission
||Electrical Machine Analysis Using Finite Element Analysis
|Power Quality Improvement
||Over Voltage in Power Systems
||Renewable Energy Technologies
|Electric Power Quality
||Energy Conservation and Management
||Special Electric Machines
|Programmable Logic Controllers
||Optimal and Adaptive Control Systems
|Design for Reliability
||Electromagnetic Interference and Compatibility
||Power System Operation and Control
|Computational Optimization Theory –Linear and Non- Linear Methods
General Subjects Curriculum & Syllabus
"I did both my B.Tech and M.Tech at Amrita. 6 years, I learned a lot from Professors, fellow students and even the workers, the good culture imbibed in them. The green lusty campus have always driven the good spirit in me. The facilities are impeccable and the support from everyone has made me grow as a better person."
Akhiya Sanal, R&D Associate Engineer, Microgrids & Distributed Generation – Battery, ABB
"I feel that Amrita, true to its illustrious history and cultural heritage, delivers on its promise of providing a rich, intellectually stimulating world- class engineering education. I can vouch from my undergraduate and graduate experience at this university for the fact that the exposure you get from Amrita helps you evolve from being an individual to a professional. Everyday during classroom discussions with leading academicians, it creates something that we fondly call the “Aha” moment."
Rahul Balachandran, Project Trainee, Bosch
"Amrita has given the stage for a beautiful transition from just acquiring knowledge to being intelligent. It has aptly encapsulated the serenity of nature with the hustle of a university. It has created a beautiful learning experience with state of the art laboratories and erudite professors. My heartfelt thanks to the University for giving me the capability to fly."
Keerthy P., Post Graduate Engineering Trainee at L&T ECC
"I have done both my UG and PG at Amrita School of Engineering - Coimbatore campus. The lab sessions were very tough and demanding that I learnt my basics from these lab sessions. I was also given a free hand to try mini projects on my own and the professors and lab assistants were equally encouraging. Added advantages being the serene campus and friendly behaviour of the professors, I am very happy that I chose Amrita for my professional studies."
VijayaRaghavan S., (BTech EEE - 2007-11; MTech Power Electronics - 2015-17) Control Design Engineer - FACTS, ABB GISPL, Chennai
"I joined Amrita School of Engineering Bangalore for Masters Programme. I chose Power Electronics as my area of specialisation. In these two years, I have had some really good experiences with Amrita. The method of teaching and the academic syllabus was of very good standards. The spread of the syllabus was really good with equal emphasis on theoretical and practical knowledge. As a student, even though at some points I may have found it hard, later I realised that it was deep learning process. We were given the opportunity to open up our minds into research, encouraged to innovate and pool in new ideas. We were taught to analyse different technical papers and works in our domain. This I believe deepened our thought process. Finally, Amrita also gave me the opportunity to work as a project trainee at ISRO, one of the most prestigious organisations of the country, and a dream come true for any engineer. Like me, some of my classmates were also lucky to be part of few other organisations as interns. This exposure, I believe, only Amrita can give.
The teachers have also played a very good role in mentoring us at each point. They have been really supportive and have always encouraged us to explore. Within the available time, they have hosted workshops and technical talks for our batch. "