Unauthorized removal of library property from the library premises and the mutilation of library materials are serious disciplinary offences. Users of the Library found committing these offences will be dealt with in accordance with the rules laid down by the authorities.
- Central Library is established with the primary aim of supporting the teaching, learning and research activities in Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri campus. These regulations have been formulated to enable staff, students and other users to maximize the use of Library resources and applicable to all the approved Library users. These regulations will be reviewed periodically to meet the changing needs.
|Monday to Friday
||8:00 AM to 10:00 PM
||8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
|Sundays and Holidays
||9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Transactions Hours ( Issue & Return)
|Monday to Friday
||8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
||8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
|Sundays and Holidays
In accordance with the demand for the library use and during the vacation period the opening and counter service hours may vary.
Admission to the Library
- Admission to the Library will be permitted only upon presenting our valid institution ID card or special approval from the Librarian. ID Cards are not transferable. Any misuse is a serious disciplinary offence and will be dealt with accordingly.
- ID cards will be issued by the institution authorities to the students and staff.
- Other category members can apply for the Library ID cards in the Circulation section of the Central Library.
- Loss of ID cards is to be reported to the Administrative office of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
|Faculty Members Those Who are Doing P.hD(Research Scholars)
|Non Teaching Staff
Overdue fine for the late return of library materials will be charged as below for the students. Users can check their overdue through AUMS.
|First 15 days
|16 to 45th day
|46 to 70th day
|71 to 100 day
|101 to 130th day
|131 and above
All borrowers must return all loans to the checked in counter.
- Upon Presenting Identity Card, users can borrow materials from the checked out counter subject to the borrowing eligibility and loan periods.
- Cards are not transferable and cannot be used on behalf of any other person. Users with difficulties coming to the Library to borrow books in person and would like to authorize a representative to do so must seek approval from the Librarian in advance.
- Borrowing eligibility of Books
- Borrowing Procedure
- No library materials shall be removed from the Library until their issue has been properly recorded in the checked out counter as well as in the Gate check unit. Valid ID cards must be produced when borrowing library materials at the checked out counter.
- Non –circulating Materials
- Library materials with the status of “Reference Only” on the Library OPAC are normally not allowed to be checked out of the Library. Under exceptional circumstances staff may obtain special permission from the concern section leader to borrow such materials for a short period.
- Borrowed books may be renewed twice provided that no one else has reserved such book.
- Any two titles of the borrowed books may be reserved and its availability will be notified through email when it is available and kept for two days only.
- Loss and Damage of Library materials
- Any defect or damage to any material should be reported to the Library staff at the circulation counter immediately when it is noticed and the item concerned should not be checked out.
- Users shall be held responsible for any loss or damage of the library materials while in their account and shall be liable to pay the total cost of the book plus 25% of the book cost as fine. In case of replacing the same book should pay 15% of the cost of book as fine.
- Overdue amount has to be paid up to the date of clearance of the lost book.
- If the book/resource is a part of a series/volume, the borrower will be charged for the replacement of the entire set.
- Return procedure
- Unauthorized Removal and Mutilation of Library Materials
- Conduct of Readers in the Library
The following rules should be observed by all users of the Library. Any infringement of them may result in the user’s exclusion from the Library for the remainder of the day.
- All users should record their details in the gate register while entering in to the Library. Silence must be strictly observed in the Library.
- Umbrellas, food, drink or articles which may interfere with the proper use and management of the Library are not allowed in the Library.
- Users must not wear rain-coats or any clothing that are likely to soil library property.
- Books and any other articles left for any length of time on chairs or tables may be removed by any of the library staff. The Library is not responsible for any loss of personal belongings left in the Library.
- Tables and chairs should be used where they are and under no circumstances should they be moved to any new position without permission from the Library authorities.
- Cameras and other photographic equipment may not be used in the Library without the permission from the Library.
- Smoking, games of any form, use of mobile phones are not permitted in the Library. Users of mobile phones in the Library will be dealt with.
- All library materials and personal property must be shown to the member of the library staff on duty on request at the exit before they may be removed from the Library.
- In using photocopying machines in the Library, the law regarding copyright must be observed. When using electronic resources, users are reminded to comply with the terms and conditions of use of these electronic resources. Users are warned that they are fully responsible for any legal consequences concerning copyright that may arise.
- Users should treat library materials, equipment and facilities with due care and report any defect or damage to the Library staff.
- Users should treat library staff and other users in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Users should comply with all Library Regulations and notices. Accessing unwanted and unnecessary information from the internet is strictly prohibited.
- No user shall deface the library books/journals/back volumes and other non book materials like CD/Floppy etc.
- Library resources are the nation’s assets and belong to all. All users are having the responsibility to protect the library resources against the wanton and willful-damage, mutilation, theft and other malpractices.
- Personal belongings like files, folders, bags, jerkins, issued books etc are not allowed inside the library. They should be deposited in the personal belongings security counter.
- For the benefit of its users, Central library is following the Open Access System. The books, current journals, back volumes taken out the racks shall not be replaced. They should be left only on the tables. Well trained Library assistants are there to replace them in the proper places.
- No user should inter change the Key boards, mouse, CPU, Systems in the Digital Library. Any such activities will be seriously dealt with.
- Students wearing shorts, pyjamas, night dresses, round neck and printed T-shirts etc are not allowed inside the library. Formal dress code is to be allowed.
- The librarian reserves the right to cancel the membership of any member found misbehaving, abusing the library staff or behaving in an indecent manner
- The Librarian may make additional rules regarding admission to and use of particular areas of the Library.
- The Librarian shall have the discretion to make special rules on library use and borrowing as deemed appropriate for the proper management of the library facilities.
- The Librarian shall have the discretion to waive any of the above regulations in special circumstances if he/she believes that this is desirable in order to meet the particular requirements of an individual library user and will not have a detrimental effect on the facilities offered to any other library user or the library services as a whole