'Biostatistics and Research Methodology - Theory' is a course offered in the fourth year of Pharm. D. program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 2 Hrs./Week
- Research Methodology
- Types of clinical study designs:
Case studies, observational studies, interventional studies,
- Designing the methodology
- Sample size determination and Power of a study
Determination of sample size for simple comparative experiments, determination of sample size to obtain a confidence interval of specified width, power of a study
- Report writing and presentation of data
Types of data distribution
- Measures describing the central tendency distributions- average, median, mode
- Measurement of the spread of data-range, variation of mean, standard deviation, variance, coef- ficient of variation, standard error of mean.
- Data graphics
Construction and labeling of graphs, histogram, piecharts, scatter plots, semilogarthimic plots
- Basics of testing hypothesis
- Null hypothesis, level of significance, power of test, P value, statistical estimation of confidence intervals.
- Level of significance (Parametric data)- students t test (paired and unpaired), chi Square test, Analysis of Variance (one-way and two-way)
- Level of significance (Non-parametric data)- Sign test, Wilcoxan’s signed rank test, Wilcoxan rank sum test, Mann Whitney U test, Kruskal-Wall is test (one way ANOVA)
- Linear regression and correlation- Introduction, Pearsonn’s and Spearmann’s correlation and cor- relation co-efficient.
- Introduction to statistical software: SPSS, Epi Info, SAS.
- Statistical methods in epidemiology
Incidence and prevalence, relative risk, attributable risk
- Computer applications in pharmacy
Computer System in Hospital Pharmacy: Patterns of Computer use in Hospital Pharmacy – Patient record database management, Medication order entry – Drug labels and list – Intravenous solution and admix- ture, patient medication profiles, Inventory control, Management report & Statistics.
Computer In Community Pharmacy
Computerizing the Prescription Dispensing process
Use of Computers for Pharmaceutical Care in community pharmacy
Accounting and General ledger system
- Pharmaceutical statistics- practical and clinical applications, Sanford Bolton 3rd edition, publisher Marcel Dekker Inc. NewYork.
- Drug Information- A Guide for Pharmacists, Patrick M Malone, Karen L Kier, John E Stanovich, 3rd edition, McGraw Hill Publications 2006