Unit I (07 Hours)
Metabolic pathways in higher plants and their determination
- Brief study of basic metabolic pathways and formation of different secondary metabolites through these pathways- Shikimic acid pathway, Acetate pathways and Amino acid pathway.
- Study of utilization of radioactive isotopes in the investigation of Biogenetic studies.
Unit II (14 Hours)
General introduction, composition, chemistry & chemical classes, biosources, therapeutic uses and commercial applications of following secondary metabolites:
Alkaloids: Vinca, Rauwolfia, Belladonna, Opium,
Phenylpropanoids and Flavonoids: Lignans, Tea, Ruta
Steroids, Cardiac Glycosides & Triterpenoids: Liquorice, Dioscorea, Digitalis
Volatile oils: Mentha, Clove, Cinnamon, Fennel, Coriander,
Tannins: Catechu, Pterocarpus
Resins: Benzoin, Guggul, Ginger, Asafoetida, Myrrh, Colophony
Glycosides: Senna, Aloes, Bitter Almond
Iridoids, Other terpenoids & Naphthaquinones: Gentian, Artemisia, taxus, carotenoids
Unit III (06 Hours)
Isolation, Identification and Analysis of Phytoconstituents
- Terpenoids: Menthol, Citral, Artemisin
- Glycosides: Glycyrhetinic acid & Rutin
- Alkaloids: Atropine,Quinine,Reserpine,Caffeine
- Resins: Podophyllotoxin, Curcumin
Unit IV (10 Hours)
Industrial production, estimation and utilization of the following phytoconstituents: Forskolin, Sennoside, Artemisinin, Diosgenin, Digoxin, Atropine, Podophyllotoxin, Caffeine, Taxol, Vincristine and Vinblastine
Unit V (08 Hours)
Basics of PhytochemistryModern methods of extraction, application of latest techniques like Spectroscopy, chromatography and electrophoresis in the isolation, purification and identification of crude drugs.