‘Medicinal Chemistry III – Practical’ is a course offered in the sixth semester of B. Pharm program at School of Pharmacy, Health Sciences campus, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Course Duration: 4 Hours/Week
- Dose calculation in pharmacological experiments
- Antiallergic activity by mast cell stabilization assay
- Study of anti-ulcer activity of a drug using pylorus ligand (SHAY) rat model and NSAIDS induced ulcer model.
- Study of effect of drugs on gastrointestinal motility
- Effect of agonist and antagonists on guinea pig ileum
- Estimation of serum biochemical parameters by using semi- autoanalyser
- Effect of saline purgative on frog intestine
- Insulin hypoglycemic effect in rabbit
- Test for pyrogens (rabbit method)
- Determination of acute oral toxicity (LD50) of a drug from a given data
- Determination of acute skin irritation / corrosion of a test substance
- Determination of acute eye irritation / corrosion of a test substance
- Calculation of pharmacokinetic parameters from a given data
- Biostatistics methods in experimental pharmacology( student’s t test, ANOVA)
- Biostatistics methods in experimental pharmacology (Chi square test, Wilcoxon Signed Rank test)
*Experiments are demonstrated by simulated experiments/videos
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Rang H. P., Dale M. M., Ritter J. M., Flower R. J., Rang and Dale’s Pharmacology, Churchil Living- stone Elsevier
- Katzung B. G., Masters S. B., Trevor A. J., Basic and clinical pharmacology, Tata Mc Graw-Hill
- Goodman and Gilman’s, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics
- Marry Anne K. K., Lloyd Yee Y., Brian K. A., Robbin L.C., Joseph G. B., Wayne A. K., Bradley R.W., Applied Therapeutics, The Clinical use of Drugs. The Point Lippincott Williams &Wilkins
- Mycek M.J, Gelnet S.B and Perper M.M. Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews- Pharmacology
- K.D.Tripathi. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, , JAYPEE Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi.
- Sharma H. L., Sharma K. K., Principles of Pharmacology, Paras medical publisher Modern Pharma- cology with clinical Applications, by Charles R.Craig& Robert,
- Ghosh MN. Fundamentals of Experimental Pharmacology. Hilton & Company, Kolkata,
- Kulkarni SK. Handbook of experimental pharmacology. VallabhPrakashan,
- N.Udupa and P.D. Gupta, Concepts in Chronopharmacology.