Course Duration: 3 Hrs./Week
Microbiology has always been an essential component of pharmacy curriculum. This is because of the relevance of microbiology to pharmaceutical sciences and more specifically to pharmaceutical industry. Pharmaceutical biotechnology is the logical extension of pharmaceutical microbiology, which is expected to change the complete drug product scenario in the future.
This course deals with the various aspects of microorganisms, its classification, morphology, laboratory cultivation identification and maintenance. Its also discusses with sterilization of pharmaceutical products, equipment, media etc. The course further discusses the immunological preparations, diseases its transmission, diagnosis, control and immunological tests.
Objectives of the Subject
Upon completion of the subject student shall be able to –
- Know the anatomy, identification, growth factors and sterilization of microorganisms;
- Know the mode of transmission of disease causing microorganism, symptoms of disease, and treat- ment aspect;
- Do estimation of RNA and DNA and there by identifying the source;
- Do cultivation and identification of the microorganisms in the laboratory;
- Do identification of diseases by performing the diagnostic tests; and
- Appreciate the behavior of motility and behavioral characteristics of microorganisms.