List of Experiments:
- Introduction to the various laboratory techniques through demonstration involving synthesis of the following compounds (at least 8 compounds to be synthesised):
- Acetanilde / aspirin (Acetylation)
- Benzanilide / Phenyl benzoate (Benzoylation)
- P-bromo acetanilide / 2,4,6 – tribromo aniline (Bromination)
- Dibenzylidene acetone (Condensation)
- 1-Phenylazo-2-napthol (Diazotisation and coupling)
- Benzoic acid / salicylic acid (Hydrolysis of ester)
- M-dinitro benzene (Nitration)
- 9, 10 – Antharaquinone (Oxidation of anthracene) / preparation of benzoic acid from toluene or benz- aldehyde
- M-phenylene diamine (Reduction of M-dinitrobenzene) / Aniline from nitrobenzene
- Benzophenone oxime
- Nitration of salicylic acid
- Preparation of picric acid
- Preparation of O-chlorobenzoic acid from O-chlorotolune
- Preparation of cyclohexanone from cyclohexanol
- Identification of organic compounds belonging to the following classes by :
Systematic qualitative organic analysis including preparation of derivatives Phenols, amides, carbo- hydrates, amines, carboxylic acids, aldehyde and ketones, Alcohols, esters, hydrocarbons, anilides, nitrocompounds.
- Introduction to the use of stereo models:
Methane, Ethane, Ethylene, Acetylene, Cis alkene, Trans alkene, inversion of configuration.
Scheme of Practical Examination:
Note : Total sessional marks is 30 (20 for practical sessional plus 10 marks for regularity, promptness, viva-voce and record maintenance).