The “International Conference on Advancing Women’s Empowerment through Systems Model Expansion” (AWESOME) took place virtually March 3-5, 2022. The conference was hosted by the Center for Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equality, UNESCO Chair for Gender Equality, in partnership with Systems Innovation, Mumbai Hub, and supported by the Indian Council on Social Science Research (ICSSR) the conference was a great success bringing together key stakeholders and academics from around the globe.
AWESOME: At A Glance
500+ Participants | 12 Countries | 12 Keynote Speakers | 15 Accepted Papers | 15 Partner Institutions
The conference featured academics, policymakers, and practitioners who will share their expertise and vision on systems thinking for women’s empowerment from both theoretical and applied points of view. Workshops and tutorials that presented effective tools for women’s empowerment took place in various breakouts. By bringing together an interdisciplinary group of academics, policymakers, and practitioners from systems thinking, women & gender studies, technology innovation, and related fields, the knowledge shared through this conference will contribute to addressing the complexity and multifaceted dimensions impacting women’s empowerment and gender equality.
Dr. Bhavani Rao kicked off the conference with the following words of inspiration: “Just as indigenous/first generation people hold this conviction: Amma also says that when the wings of a butterfly touches one part of a web, its touch reverberates throughout the entire web. It is with this understanding that the AWESOME framework addresses the multiple factors impacting women’s empowerment knowing that changes in one factor undoubtedly have a ripple effect on the others” – Dr. Bhavani Rao, UNESCO Chair on Gender Equality & Women’s Empowerment (India), Dean – CWEGE & AMMACHI Labs, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
Event Highlights Included:
- Three days of sessions between 15:30 – 21:30 IST with keynote addresses, workshops, presentations, tutorials, fireside chats
- Top speakers including renowned scientists, activists and changemakers:
- Fritjof Capra, Ph.D., World-renowned scientist, educator, activist & author of “Tao of Physics”
- Vandana Shiva, Ph.D., Indian scholar, environmental activist, ecofeminist and author
- Deepa Narayan, Ph.D., World-renowned author & speaker. author of “Chup: Breaking the Silence about India’s Women”, former advisor at the World Bank
- Charu Sinha, IG, Central Reserve Police Force, Srinagar Sector
- Prof. JeemolUnni, Professor in Economics, Ahmedabad University.
- Dr. Sarthak Das, Chief Executive Officer of the Asia Pacific Leaders Malaria Alliance
- Sairee Chahal, Founder and CEO of SHEROES &Mahila Money
- LosangRagbey, Ph.D., Co-founder of Machik
- Agendra Kumar, President of ESRI
- Smt. Uma Mahadevan DasguptaPrincipal Secretary, Panchayati Raj, Government of Karnataka
- Human rights-based and evidence-informed interventions tailored to girls’ and women’s needs, particularly vulnerable communities were a main focus
For International Women’s Day (IWD 2022) all participants from the AWESOME Conference took the pledge to #BreakTheBias
Download the Conference Abstracts
In his concluding remarks, Dr. Tarek Rashed said “The AWESOME Framework upholds this vision to change the world: By 2050, women should be empowered to leverage their internal and external resources, live free from discrimination in healthy, sustainable, and safe environments, and enjoy access to quality education, cultural, political, and socioeconomic equality.” – Tarek Rashed, Adjunct Professor, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.