The B. Pharm. Degree course follows a semester pattern from year 2010 onwards. Selection is based on the marks secured in plus two and performance in the interview. B. Pharm. Degree Course is a four-year program (8 semester). It is a versatile interdisciplinary program preparing graduates with a sound knowledge and understanding of the science, technology, and practice of pharmacy.
The core subjects of B. Pharm. include the following:
Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Analysis (Chemistry of Drugs)
Study of Pharmaceutical Chemistry enables the student to understand and perform the synthesize, purification and identification of various medicinal agents and the Pharmaceutical analysis look after the quality control and quality assurance aspects of medicines.
The subject deals with the variousl aspects of formulation, preparation and analysis of various pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. A graduate shall be able to formulate, dispense, preserve and analyse the medicines of a prescription and scale up the manufacture of the pharmaceuticals and cosmetics at the commercial level. This need a sound knowledge of the physiochemical properties of drug, need of various additives, selection of solvent, pharmacokinetic parameters of the drug and so on. It also helps the student acquire knowledge and skill to apply quality assurance principles, including legal and ethical aspects involving drugs, delivering a quality assured product as per the pharmacopoeial, WHO and ISO standards including their mechanism of action, therapeutic indications, adverse effects etc.
This helps the student gain knowledge and scientific information regarding pharmacology of drugs, including the practical aspects of pharmacological screening for various medicinal agents using the appropriate animal model, pharmacology calculations, biological standardisation, and in-vivo drug interactions and toxicity studies are also covered under this subject.
The subject of Pharmacognosy deals with drugs of natural sources viz. herbal drugs, their cultivation methods, bio-technological methods, production of pharmaceutical herbal products and their evaluation. The students will develop adequate skill to extract, purify, identify, and know the therapeutic value of herbal/crude/natural products.
The subject of Pharmacy Practice deals with Hospital, Clinical and Community Pharmacy. It provides an understanding of the processes involved in providing primary healthcare, drug information and other clinical pharmacy services in different practice environments. This enables students to acquire knowledge of clinical studies for patient counseling, drug information, adverse drug reaction monitoring, toxicological studies, therapeutic drug monitoring and other similar aspects of Clinical Pharmacy.
Program Educational Objectives
- To develop competent pharmacy graduates by structured teaching learning process through dedicated and devoted faculty.
- To develop technically sound pharmacy professionals with a competent approach to cater the needs of the society and pharmaceutical industries.
- To inculcate in students confidence, planning abilities, leadership qualities, teamwork, and communication skills to emerge as compassionate pharmacy professionals.
- To emphasize social responsibility, integrity and ethical aspects to serve the society at large and health care system in particular.
- To inspire the graduates for higher education, research or entrepreneurship and life¬long learning in the context of technological advancement.