Back close

The role of Gefitinib in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer in India

Publication Type : Journal Article

Thematic Areas : Medical Sciences

Publisher : Indian Journal of Palliative Care

Source : Indian Journal of Palliative Care, Volume 19, Number 1, p.48-53 (2013)

Url : is external)

Campus : Kochi

School : School of Medicine

Department : Medical Oncology, Pulmonary Medicine

Verified : Yes

Year : 2013

Abstract : Background: Gefitinib, an epidermal growth factor receptor-tyrosine kinase inhibitor, represents a new treatment option for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). We analyzed the data of patients who received Gefitinib for NSCLC in a tertiary care center in South India. Materials and Methods: Sixty-three patients with advanced NSCLC who had received Gefitinib either after failure of conventional chemotherapy or were previously not treated as they were unfit or unwilling for conventional treatment were included in the analysis. Results: The median follow-up for the cohort was 311 days (range 11-1544 days). Median time to progression was 161 (range 9-883) days. Complete and partial remission was seen in 1 (2%) and 6 (9%) patients, respectively, with overall response rate of 11%. Twenty-four (38%) patients had stable disease. Gefitinib was well tolerated with no significant side effects. Conclusion: Gefitinib shows anti-tumor activity in pretreated or previously untreated patients with advanced NSCLC. It has a favorable toxicity profile and is well tolerated. Gefitinib should be considered as a viable therapy in patients with NSCLC. Copyright © Indian Journal of Palliative Care 2013.

Cite this Research Publication : A. Aa Mehta, Jose, W. Mb, Pavithran, Kb, and Triavadi, G. Sc, “The role of Gefitinib in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer in India”, Indian Journal of Palliative Care, vol. 19, pp. 48-53, 2013.

Admissions Apply Now